Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting an EK-FB ASUS C5F-Z - Acetal+Nickel waterblock for my Motherboard and an EK-Supremacy - Acetal + Nickel for my CPU, Just before I order these parts I'm curious to know, does EK still have thier problems with the flaking nickel coating that they had a few years back? or should I just go with the copper and get it coated (though I have no idea how much that will cost) I don't want to spend my money on waterblocks that will only last me a year
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,733 Posts
I couldn't really find an answer to this when I recently bought my parts so went safe and got the acetal and copper blocks. Some say they have improved it but it's still not good enough. Shame because they're smexy looking!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,140 Posts
I have a nickel Supremacy and a nickel FC7970 CSQ and have had no problems. I recently dismantled everything for a clean and got some plasticiser gunk out of the fins but saw no changes in the Nickel after 6 months.

I personally don't care what the inside of my blocks look like anyway but it still should not happen. I was happy to see how it went because the worst that could happen is the inside gets a little unsightly and EK will replace them. There was a guy here in Australia with some older blocks and he didn't even have to send them back, EK sent new blocks and he just had to prove the old ones had been destroyed with pictures of holes drilled in them etc.

If you google EK CSQ Nickel Corrosion I couldn't see any current blocks with a problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Jakusonfire I am planning on getting the CSQ blocks I was just thinking that they may not have fixed the issue as I have seen that it usually takes a year or so for the the problem to appear and I dont know If the CSQ blocks have been out for long enough. TBH I am desperate for nickel but most plating quotes are around $100+ and that seems quite steep and I'm not entirely sure I should risk the ek stock nickel plating for anly $5 extra it seems a bit cheap.

On another note I plan to run the blocks for 3 years.

Sorry for the excessive editing
redface.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,140 Posts
The EK nickel blocks vs copper aren't any cheaper than other brands that have copper and nickel versions. Even if there was a small difference you can't make an assumption that it has do with lower quality. EK make and sell far more water blocks than any other company ... economys of scale apply.
You certainly can't compare the price of a one off job to a factory selling thousands every year.

Edit: Also forgot to say I had a full nickel Supreme HF for over a year before my Supremacy and never saw any problem with it either.

The problems were real, I have no doubt about that, but I'm equally sure that it has been blown out of proportion. I have read some extreme, over the top nonsense that has been attributed to or blamed on EK that was obvious user error.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll go ahead and risk it with that sexy nickel and just RMA it if i have any problems or get it re-plated if it fails after the warranty period.

you said you didn't have any problems at all Jakusonfire, May I ask what fluid you used? im thinking of going mayhems coolant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
EK never addressed the real problem with their plating, complete lack of competent prep work.

They still have horrible prep work, uneven surfaces, improper cleaning etc. So rather than fix those issues, they just threw thicker and slightly more robust plating at the problem.

The parts seem to have held up over the last year or so, I haven't seen any posts on the various hardware sites, yet. Luckily, most large plated parts (GPU blocks) get replaced within a year or two, that could be the plating lifetime, who knows.

Odd Ikea styling aside, I still wouldn't buy anything Nickel plated from EK. Good luck getting warranty service with the blame game they like playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

The EK nickel blocks vs copper aren't any cheaper than other brands that have copper and nickel versions. Even if there was a small difference you can't make an assumption that it has do with lower quality. EK make and sell far more water blocks than any other company ... economys of scale apply.
You certainly can't compare the price of a one off job to a factory selling thousands every year.

Edit: Also forgot to say I had a full nickel Supreme HF for over a year before my Supremacy and never saw any problem with it either.

The problems were real, I have no doubt about that, but I'm equally sure that it has been blown out of proportion. I have read some extreme, over the top nonsense that has been attributed to or blamed on EK that was obvious user error.
The problem was NOT blown out of proportion by any means. EK completely brought it upon themselves. Shipping blocks with pitting already present from the factory, substandard plating thickness, zero prep work being done on the blocks after machining. And to top off all of that, they had the nerve to blame distilled water as the culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post

EK never addressed the real problem with their plating, complete lack of competent prep work.

They still have horrible prep work, uneven surfaces, improper cleaning etc. So rather than fix those issues, they just threw thicker and slightly more robust plating at the problem.
I <3 your inside knowledge
biggrin.gif
It's hard to find a post full of more blatant lies than this one.
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EK_tiborr I think your products function well and look fantastic however you cannot deny that EK has had some issues with nickel, I was just wondering if they have been fixed with the CSQ design (ie. are they any different from the EN nickel as I heard that they had some issues too) Im not trying to attack your company I just want to make an informed decision before I hand over my hard earned cash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_tiborrr View Post

I <3 your inside knowledge
biggrin.gif
It's hard to find a post full of more blatant lies than this one.
thumb.gif
I'm sure you can provide better customer service than this

This really makes me wonder how your after sales support is, What if I need to RMA something?
Your products are fantastic no doubt about it, even if they have nickel plating issues. I would just feel more comfortable if I knew I would get a friendly response if I ever need to contact your company.
Even if a particular company is more expensive than others I will return to them if there customer service is great.
 

·
Riding on the edge
Joined
·
3,278 Posts
I feel your pain Stickeelion.
I too am looking at the same exact item for my rig.
I'll be upgrading the rad this week and wanted to add a mobo block at the same time.
Been keeping an eye on this thread and it makes it tough to make a call especially when the EK is the only one currently available for the CHVZ.
I think I'll postpone my WB purchase till I learn more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your sympathy The Sandman. Have you considered getting them and having them replated when/if it starts to wear as that will be maybe $30-$100 depending on where you get it done and that will increase the life and allow you to resell it later.

I am sure there are others concerned about EK nickel blocks but I have not been able to find anything about the nickel on the CSQ design blocks anywhere,
confused.gif


If there is anyone else who has used these blocks for a while it would be great If you could let us all know how the nickel plating is holding up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
i just broke down my loop, and the first thing i checked were my vga blocks from ek. there is definitely stuff in there after a month of only silver kill coil and distilled water. will post pics on the culprit. hopefully its not too bad. its like a light brownish gunk, hopefully it's nothing too serious. will be using mayhems pastel concentrate from now on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeelion View Post

EK_tiborr I think your products function well and look fantastic however you cannot deny that EK has had some issues with nickel, I was just wondering if they have been fixed with the CSQ design (ie. are they any different from the EN nickel as I heard that they had some issues too) Im not trying to attack your company I just want to make an informed decision before I hand over my hard earned cash.
I'm sure you can provide better customer service than this

This really makes me wonder how your after sales support is, What if I need to RMA something?
Your products are fantastic no doubt about it, even if they have nickel plating issues. I would just feel more comfortable if I knew I would get a friendly response if I ever need to contact your company.
Even if a particular company is more expensive than others I will return to them if there customer service is great.
Hi,

I'm not handling any RMAs nor do I run any support service (apart from product compatibility check when asked for help by my colleagues). I am the one who design these things that's why I get very personal about it. Especially when the subject is showing absolutely no respect towards his fellow forum users and thinks he's right just because he shouts and exaggerates.

We handle RMAs professionally and in swift manner. The problem is the vocal minority. The most loud are the ones who were denied RMA, the most common reason for denial is the lack of any proof of purchase (as you know, 2nd hand purchased items cannot be RMAed directly). We even check our archived database and old compressed outlook files to try to find original invoice-

As for the C5F-Z block - there is also a variant with no Nickel plating: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/motherboard-blocks/full-board-blocks/amd-990fx-chipset/ek-fb-asus-c5f-z-acetal.html

I will not be replying to this thread any more since it usually turns into *****storm with people trying to put words in your mouth
tongue.gif
:

Best Regards and happy OC,
Niko
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
oh wow, an ek rep. you must be a very patient man browsing the boards lol. no, but seriously, i give u props for sticking it out. a lot of dudes wouldn't bother to come here again after what's been said. i happen to like your products, and actually don't mind the csq design, just hate the frost on the plexi. you're the only ones who are making an effort to make multiple non reference gpu blocks and have more variety of motherboard blocks. that speaks more volume to me than what others might say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_tiborrr View Post

Hi,

I'm not handling any RMAs nor do I run any support service (apart from product compatibility check when asked for help by my colleagues). I am the one who design these things that's why I get very personal about it. Especially when the subject is showing absolutely no respect towards his fellow forum users and thinks he's right just because he shouts and exaggerates.

...

I will not be replying to this thread any more since it usually turns into *****storm with people trying to put words in your mouth
tongue.gif
:

Best Regards and happy OC,
Niko
thumb.gif
Niko, I just wanted to be assured that any issues will be handled correctly (thank you for confirming that) and if the old nickel problem was addressed. I am sincerely sorry if I did insult you in any way,

I do think the CSQ design is great, keep up the great work
smile.gif
,
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top