Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had trouble with wireless keyboard/mouses (MK270, MK320) having horrible lag when playing a steam fps shooter called Insurgency. The keyboard/mouse is about 4-5 feet away from the receiver. I booted up task manager and HW monitor the other day, and checked them when I started receiving lag. The CPU utilization was hovering around 95-100%.

The lag on the MK270/MK320 consists of the keyboard/moue not being responsive - sometimes waiting 10 seconds before anything would register. Then the keystrokes would register all at once (eg. typing something in chat, and all of the things I typed pops up at once), or if I move the mouse around, it would suddenly make my screen move in all directions. *(Note this Logitech keyboard/mouse model has had numerous Amazon reviews complaining about lag)

The lag on the K636 consists of occasional slow mouse movements or the keyboard freezing up entirely for a few seconds until I move the keyboard around and/or reset the power switch.

Does high/maxed out CPU usage cause wireless keyboard/mouse lag?

Specs: G3258 overclocked to 4.0GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung SSD, GTX750Ti, Antec 380 green earthwatt PSU, Windows 7. Dell K636 wireless mouse + keyboard combo (originally running with Logitech MK270, mk320s wireless keyboard/mouse but they were lagging horribly)

·
Mehehe!
2,779 Posts
Well I never had this on current gen CPU's but ... it can?

I had this when running 1000 Hz on older PC's back in the day, I actually had to switch back to 500 Hz. Back then mice weren't even 500 out of the box though, it was all with the usbfilter or even a patched usbport.sys file.

But... it was also very noticeable, not like "smoothing" or whatever, it was a sudden hit of excessive lag, kind of like dropping to 5-10 fps, but when you look at the fps counter, you're still hitting 100+.

But, as I said, this was in the old days, predating even multicore CPU's.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Generally very instensive loads do. For example,x264 with 4 cores on my rig makes it unusable.

Have you tried with a normal keyboard? What CPU you got?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Generally very instensive loads do. For example,x264 with 4 cores on my rig makes it unusable.

Have you tried with a normal keyboard? What CPU you got?
I have a dual core Haswell Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.0GHz. Normal keyboards work fine.

Specs: G3258 overclocked to 4.0GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Samsung SSD, GTX750Ti, Antec 380 green earthwatt PSU, Windows 7. Dell K636 wireless mouse + keyboard combo (originally running with Logitech MK270, mk320s wireless keyboard/mouse but they were lagging horribly)

I made another thread in the Intel CPU category that deals with high CPU usage - this Insugency game is a steam source-engine game but for some reason uses 95%+ of my CPU. It's during this game where my keyboard/mouse becomes unresponsive.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1590818/g3258-4-0ghz-bottlenecking-gtx750ti-sc-in-certain-games

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does it not have to do with maxing out the USB bus and/or a controller above it in any chipset that connects CPU, RAM, PCI cards, PCI-E cards and other I/O devices?

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

I have a dual core Haswell Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.0GHz. Normal keyboards work fine.

I made another thread in the Intel CPU category that deals with high CPU usage - this Insugency game is a steam source-engine game but for some reason uses 95%+ of my CPU. It's during this game where my keyboard/mouse becomes unresponsive.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1590818/g3258-4-0ghz-bottlenecking-gtx750ti-sc-in-certain-games
Maybe it's because you only have 2 cores...in 2016 it's not ideal. And more for a game that is multiplayer like Insurgency (atleast i think it is)

Do you have this problem with other games?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts