Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 120mm FAN that can spin 3000RPM , or a 200mm+ FAN that can spin around that speed. i dont mind the noise lol xD.. if no.. whats the fastest speed can these type of fans spin?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not sure whats available but if you got a 120/140mm rated for 2000 or so rpm and instead of giving it a standard 12V supply give it higher voltage, not exactly sure of method, but similar to the 12v to 5v mod for lower speeds, except you would be increasing to 15/17v, there are a few guides out there (no responsibility taken for short fan life resulting!)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomEGun
View Post

I'm not sure whats available but if you got a 120/140mm rated for 2000 or so rpm and instead of giving it a standard 12V supply give it higher voltage, not exactly sure of method, but similar to the 12v to 5v mod for lower speeds, except you would be increasing to 15/17v, there are a few guides out there (no responsibility taken for short fan life resulting!)

Basically you take the extra power from the 20/24Pin mobo connector. There are tons of different voltages there.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Fan size isn't the most important detail. What you want to look at is the volumetric flow rate of the fan, which is usually measured in cfm (cubic feet per minute). The higher the flow rate, the more air the fan is going to move. Fan size is one factor that leads to a higher flow rate, but so is the speed of the fan measured in revolutions per minute and the efficiency of the fan blades. So although a bigger fan will usually move more air, the only way to be sure is to compare the flow rates.

As for speed, the faster the fan spins the more air it moves (as a general rule). However higher speeds mean more noise. Larger fans don't have to spin as fast to move the same amount of air, so a larger fan is often "better" as it can move the same amount of air as a smaller fan with less revolutions per minute, and therefore less noise. Again though, fans report the level of sound produced in decibels, so ignore the rotation speed and just compare the noise levels. The decibel scale is not linear though, so a fan producing 40 decibels of noise is actually waaaaay more than twice as loud as a fan producing 20 decibels.

In summary, look for a fan that moves as much air as possible with a decibel level that is acceptable to you. Fan size and rotation speed are good indicators of these two values, but both the volumetric flow rate and sound levels should be reported so just compare those as they're what actually matters.

EDIT: LOL at the 66 dBA fan!! That will sound like a jet engine haha. But good lord that's a high flow rate.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by durch
View Post

EDIT: LOL at the 66 dBA fan!! That will sound like a jet engine haha. But good lord that's a high flow rate.

I would be afraid to put one of those in my system for fear of it sucking loose components out of my case

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
I own a Skythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm. 38mm thick, 120mm. Sounds like a frickin train though

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog
View Post

So you want a massive amount of airflow, with no regard to noise

Can you say, 5500RPM delta?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24415

lololololololol

They don't call Delta's "SCREAMERS" for nothing!

For any old time overclocker, it's those babies they'd use as even the 80mm Deltas m-o-v-e air (at the expense of hearing, as they're close to 70dBA).

OP, if you don't mind the noise (or do your neighbors) get a Delta, you won't have to worry about size of the fan or static pressure (but folks use other fans to save not only their hearing, their power bill [it's a fan you have no choice but use a fan controller with, too]).

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
considering there's been a delta fan rated at 220.01 CFM @ 4600 RPM for several years, i don't think find a 120mm fan @ 3000 RPM would be an issue...

any reason you care about the RPM so much?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts