Overclock.net banner

Does it Hold or does it Fold?

838 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Odysseyalien
Question:

Have you ever gone back to play an older, cherished video game and discover the experience still holds up or does it fold under your current expectations?

Context:

In the month of January, during the peak of winter, I requested an RMA for my 7900 XTX. This time of year I usually catch up on my backlog when I can’t go outdoors and enjoy the snow. No snow… no fun. So let’s just say, I was quite cheesed to find out the most expensive video card I had ever purchased, was unavailable during the short time I have to catch up.

While I am now primarily a PC gamer, I have two consoles always active. The lastest Nintendo console (switch) and my Xbox 360. Yes, I always have my 360 plugged in. In my brief and short opinion, it represents my favourite console generation that delivered the golden age of both indie and modern 3D gaming. Braid and Bioshock are immediate examples that come to mind. It’s also great for guitar hero / rock band with friends. A small tradition at our household. Anyway, that is another discussion.

With that out of the way, I was looking to sink my teeth into something more substantial. I have clear, definitive favourite games from days past. Metroid Prime will always remain my favourite but I wanted to introduce my wife to another game that I have highly spoken of, to her, on many occasions. Yet never played with her.

That game is Red Dead Redemption. I’ve got to say, upon loading the game there was this eerie feeling that quickly settled in. The last auto save date was from March 2011. I booted it up and was a bit unsettled by the quality of the visuals and performance.

That said, I knew it would be hard to establish and discuss the context of the game and what I thought makes it truly unique - the world, with my wife by jumping into a twelve year old save file.

So I quickly told her about the expansion, Undead Nightmare, and decided to start there to jump into the core mechanics and keep it light hearted.

Thirty minutes passed and we started to settle in. There were some small hurdles, especially getting used to the Rockstar third person controls again (a little sluggish) but after the initial period… It happened. Just as it happened twelve years ago. I was hooked. Everything I thought the game was, held up incredibly well.

Even at 720p and barely holding 30fps, the game and more importantly, the world, was incredibly intoxicating. Especially upscaled on a 4K OLED… My mind immediately went to drawing comparisons against the prequel, Red Dead Redemption II. What I gathered, rather quickly, is that the original game doesn’t burden the player as much as Red Dead Redemption II.

It’s more accessible but in the right way that isn’t patronizing to the player. There is no overwhelming sense of responsibility by tending the camp, brushing your horse, making coffee, or cutting your hair. Yes, those are optional gameplay mechanics but… it’s your immediate interactions that are available once completing the very impressive introduction chapter. That leaves a strong impression on the player and in my mind, could potentially burden the player.

In Red Dead Redemption, you can quickly jump on your horse, hog tie enemies, get into duels, and all other sorts of western shenanigans in a dense, detailed world with strong and believable characters. I can, with confidence defend that it was and still is, one of the best open world games ever made. This does not undermine the prequel but I can easily get engrossed in the world of the original more effectively than the prequel. Even if the graphics, audio, story, and other core pieces of scope are improved in the more recent title.

I ended up putting about eight hours into the game over the past week. I beat the expansion for the first time and I have created a new save file in the base game, ready to go again. All the while, my wife, who is not really a fan of video gaming in general, followed along. Asking questions about the characters and enjoying watching enemies getting blasted in dead eye (slow down) mode.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I received my 7900 XTX replacement. It works and it’s great. However, I can’t help but think about booting up my 360 to jump back into the world of Red Dead Redemption.
Horse Cloud Sky Working animal Natural landscape

I really enjoy these types of discussions and understanding how a medium, like video games, can positively (or negatively) impact a person. Usually I save them for in person interactions with friends and colleagues but this time, I thought I would share it here. Where I am usually more active in a digital, ”social” sense.

Feel free to chime in with your own experience with any other game. Or not. Up to you but I love Red Dead Redemption and I hope others too. Maybe one day… it will finally come to PC!
  • Rep+
Reactions: Paradigm Shifter
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,350 Posts
Can't say I've ever had that for a Rockstar game, but I know what you mean.

I've got a few games which I never seem to tire of, and find as great with a replay as they did the first time. C&C: Red Alert 2, Final Fantasy 8, the original Rayman (even though I suck at it!), Duke Nukem 3D (although my patience with the Build Engine is growing shorter every time I replay it...), Chrono Trigger too.

I think Total War: Warhammer might get added to that list eventually, because I do go back to it occasionally to keep working on some of the old-style campaigns, but it is expanded upon so well by 2 (I'm a little torn about 3) that I feel it doesn't stand so well alone.

· Old to Overclock.net
3,524 Posts
Question:

Have you ever gone back to play an older, cherished video game and discover the experience still holds up or does it fold under your current expectations?

Context:

In the month of January, during the peak of winter, I requested an RMA for my 7900 XTX. This time of year I usually catch up on my backlog when I can’t go outdoors and enjoy the snow. No snow… no fun. So let’s just say, I was quite cheesed to find out the most expensive video card I had ever purchased, was unavailable during the short time I have to catch up.

While I am now primarily a PC gamer, I have two consoles always active. The lastest Nintendo console (switch) and my Xbox 360. Yes, I always have my 360 plugged in. In my brief and short opinion, it represents my favourite console generation that delivered the golden age of both indie and modern 3D gaming. Braid and Bioshock are immediate examples that come to mind. It’s also great for guitar hero / rock band with friends. A small tradition at our household. Anyway, that is another discussion.

With that out of the way, I was looking to sink my teeth into something more substantial. I have clear, definitive favourite games from days past. Metroid Prime will always remain my favourite but I wanted to introduce my wife to another game that I have highly spoken of, to her, on many occasions. Yet never played with her.

That game is Red Dead Redemption. I’ve got to say, upon loading the game there was this eerie feeling that quickly settled in. The last auto save date was from March 2011. I booted it up and was a bit unsettled by the quality of the visuals and performance.

That said, I knew it would be hard to establish and discuss the context of the game and what I thought makes it truly unique - the world, with my wife by jumping into a twelve year old save file.

So I quickly told her about the expansion, Undead Nightmare, and decided to start there to jump into the core mechanics and keep it light hearted.

Thirty minutes passed and we started to settle in. There were some small hurdles, especially getting used to the Rockstar third person controls again (a little sluggish) but after the initial period… It happened. Just as it happened twelve years ago. I was hooked. Everything I thought the game was, held up incredibly well.

Even at 720p and barely holding 30fps, the game and more importantly, the world, was incredibly intoxicating. Especially upscaled on a 4K OLED… My mind immediately went to drawing comparisons against the prequel, Red Dead Redemption II. What I gathered, rather quickly, is that the original game doesn’t burden the player as much as Red Dead Redemption II.

It’s more accessible but in the right way that isn’t patronizing to the player. There is no overwhelming sense of responsibility by tending the camp, brushing your horse, making coffee, or cutting your hair. Yes, those are optional gameplay mechanics but… it’s your immediate interactions that are available once completing the very impressive introduction chapter. That leaves a strong impression on the player and in my mind, could potentially burden the player.

In Red Dead Redemption, you can quickly jump on your horse, hog tie enemies, get into duels, and all other sorts of western shenanigans in a dense, detailed world with strong and believable characters. I can, with confidence defend that it was and still is, one of the best open world games ever made. This does not undermine the prequel but I can easily get engrossed in the world of the original more effectively than the prequel. Even if the graphics, audio, story, and other core pieces of scope are improved in the more recent title.

I ended up putting about eight hours into the game over the past week. I beat the expansion for the first time and I have created a new save file in the base game, ready to go again. All the while, my wife, who is not really a fan of video gaming in general, followed along. Asking questions about the characters and enjoying watching enemies getting blasted in dead eye (slow down) mode.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I received my 7900 XTX replacement. It works and it’s great. However, I can’t help but think about booting up my 360 to jump back into the world of Red Dead Redemption.
View attachment 2596327

I really enjoy these types of discussions and understanding how a medium, like video games, can positively (or negatively) impact a person. Usually I save them for in person interactions with friends and colleagues but this time, I thought I would share it here. Where I am usually more active in a digital, ”social” sense.

Feel free to chime in with your own experience with any other game. Or not. Up to you but I love Red Dead Redemption and I hope others too. Maybe one day… it will finally come to PC!
I recently got into StarCraft again, my brothers and myself were talking about it during Christmas and I downloaded it again. Very nostalgic, reminds of being in the late 90s again. The campaigns are much easier now, especially with the help of YouTube.

After I finish the campaigns I will go ahead and track down Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri and play thru that.

I've got a few games which I never seem to tire of, and find as great with a replay as they did the first time. C&C: Red Alert 2, Final Fantasy 8, the original Rayman (even though I suck at it!), Duke Nukem 3D (although my patience with the Build Engine is growing shorter every time I replay it...), Chrono Trigger too.

I think Total War: Warhammer might get added to that list eventually, because I do go back to it occasionally to keep working on some of the old-style campaigns, but it is expanded upon so well by 2 (I'm a little torn about 3) that I feel it doesn't stand so well alone.
What is it about Final Fantasy VIII, I always get a lot of flack because I say it is as good as 7 and 5. I had to uninstall it from from my phone because when it launched for mobile I played every spare time. I thought I was going to get fired because I played much.

· Registered
4,350 Posts
What is it about Final Fantasy VIII, I always get a lot of flack because I say it is as good as 7 and 5. I had to uninstall it from from my phone because when it launched for mobile I played every spare time. I thought I was going to get fired because I played much.
FF6 (FF3 US) was my intro to the series. I didn't much care for 7 (which gets me a lot of flak myself) but 8 just clicked for me. So did 9, although that was mostly because it was a throwback to the high fantasy idea which 7 and 8 didn't have.

I think it comes down to the music. Liberi Fatali was just so jaw dropping (particularly coupled with the opening FMV) that I fell in love with 8 within the first few bars of music.

· Registered
2,411 Posts

I've played through c&c RA2 more times than I can count and I still love it every time.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
My fall back games are Crysis / Warhead and Total War: Rome II.

C&C Generals used to be but its been harder to get working lately.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

· H₂O Aficionado
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fall back games are Crysis / Warhead and Total War: Rome II.

C&C Generals used to be but its been harder to get working lately.
Do you go back frequently? The experience I was describing is "Hey, here is a game I remember being awesome. I haven't touched it in a decade. It's still awesome :)"

There are some older games I dabble from time to time, like FTL or RE4 but there are few games where I leave them for many years, come back to them, and have such a great experience.

Yes, a lot of Rockstar games are not on my top list. GTA IV is my favourite GTA and I really like Max Payne 3 but those games wouldn't be on my top list. Red Dead was always there but it's been so long since I touched it, I was conflicted in booting it up and watching the nostalgia wash away. It didn't :)

Yes, I love Rayman! I have the original box (CD) on PC and the game boy advance remake. I also love the modern takes (Origins and Legends). Duke Nukem I grew up with but that is an example of a game that doesn't hold up as well for me. Maybe its just the technology or game play but I can't enjoy Duke the way I used too.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Do you go back frequently? The experience I was describing is "Hey, here is a game I remember being awesome. I haven't touched it in a decade. It's still awesome :)"

There are some older games I dabble from time to time, like FTL or RE4 but there are few games where I leave them for many years, come back to them, and have such a great experience.
C&C have lost some of its charm I would say. Crysis is always fun. It's been a while since I played Rome 2 so I can say but after Total War Warhammer itblost its appeal tbh.

· Registered
2,411 Posts
C&C have lost some of its charm I would say. Crysis is always fun. It's been a while since I played Rome 2 so I can say but after Total War Warhammer itblost its appeal tbh.
Idk, tiberian until generals (including generals) are games I feel are timeless.

Same with Warcraft 2...imo.

· Premium Member
1,665 Posts
i enjoy "serious sam" sometimes,,its a no brains blast em game,,

· Premium Member
1,665 Posts
can never forget the mosquito's in the crysis game

· Registered
3,165 Posts
Question:

Context:

View attachment 2596327

I am ready for some new next gen titles for 2023. I love games like RDR2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Fallout 4, Skyrim. But I’ve beat them all to death and back. 🙁 if only we could erase our memory of a game and start over from scratch Lol.

I’m looking forward to Starfield most of all! I hope it’s not a flop. Then the new Elder scrolls, the new GTA 6, several other games on Steam releasing in the next day or month too. It’s a real good time to be alive right now. 😎

· H₂O Aficionado
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am ready for some new next gen titles for 2023. I love games like RDR2, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and Fallout 4, Skyrim. But I’ve beat them all to death and back. 🙁 if only we could erase our memory of a game and start over from scratch Lol.

I’m looking forward to Starfield most of all! I hope it’s not a flop. Then the new Elder scrolls, the new GTA 6, several other games on Steam releasing in the next day or month too. It’s a real good time to be alive right now. 😎
I used to be a big believer in Bethesda RPGs. Oblivion, Fallout 3 are my favourites. I've got a confession - I've never beat Skyrim but maybe one day I will go back. Fallout 4 came out when I didnt have access to any consoles or PC so I've essentially never played it.

I'm hopeful for Starfield but... the last gameplay reveal (summer 2022?) didn't really impress me. I'm not too concerned about the Bethesda bugs (Gamebryo code is probably still there) but I just need to see more of it to get a better understanding of the game.

· Registered
2 Posts
I do at least two or three playthroughs of "Alien: Isolation" every year and that came out in 2014. It's my most played game. It doesn't have the graphics of today but it still scares me, I still see stuff I hadn't noticed before. What is hum drum though is pretty much knowing each keystroke I have to make and when throughout the game. Still, the game thrills me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts