Overclock.net banner

Does Liquid Metal TIM make sense if not deliding the CPU?

6193 26
Hi Guys,

A quick question: I bought some Thermal Grizzly liquid metal for using in a custom water cooling loop using AquaComputer waterblock, on a Ryzen 3950x (and in future a 5950X). It seems that liquid metal is a very popular solution to use when deliding the CPU, and use it between the actual silicon and the thermal plate (and that makes sense especially when they are using a thermal paste and are not being soldered together).

But my question is: does it make sense to use liquid metal if I do not intend to delid the CPU? Should I expect some better performance still? or it's not worth the trouble (and risk of shorts...). Would I be better off just using some high performance thermal paste? And are AMD CPUs soldered thermal plate? or they use thermal paste internally?

Thanks
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Hi Guys,

A quick question: I bought some Thermal Grizzly liquid metal for using in a custom water cooling loop using AquaComputer waterblock, on a Ryzen 3950x (and in future a 5950X). It seems that liquid metal is a very popular solution to use when deliding the CPU, and use it between the actual silicon and the thermal plate (and that makes sense especially when they are using a thermal paste and are not being soldered together).

But my question is: does it make sense to use liquid metal if I do not intend to delid the CPU? Should I expect some better performance still? or it's not worth the trouble (and risk of shorts...). Would I be better off just using some high performance thermal paste? And are AMD CPUs soldered thermal plate? or they use thermal paste internally?

Thanks
1/ Both CPU and IHS need to be perfectly flat, this in itself is the main issue.
2/ As long as both surfaces mate perfectly when bolted down liquid metal can provide some nice improvements in temps but nothing that should make a noticable difference in maximum overclock potential
3/ Using liquid metal will mess up the imprint on the CPU IHS as well as leaving residue on heatsink
4/ If both surfaces are not nickle but one is copper you will need to re-apply the liquid metal as the copper will absorb the first application after being used for a month or so

That covers it for me

:)

• Rep+
Reactions: EastCoast

· Registered
Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER, 3950X, Corsair HX1000i, BeQuiet DarkBase Pro Rev.2, Gigabyte GTX1060 3GB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Aquacomputer block is nickel plated, so my understanding is that it will not be affected by the liquid metal in a meaningful way.

My current 3950X is anyway out of warranty (or close to) and I do not intend to resell it (I'll repurpose it).

So I suppose I can try to make some experiments with both regular paste and liquid metal on the current CPU before I get the 5950X, just to see what happens. I was hoping someone has doen this before :D. If so, I'm all ears.

Thanks

· Registered
2,623 Posts
The Aquacomputer block is nickel plated, so my understanding is that it will not be affected by the liquid metal in a meaningful way.

My current 3950X is anyway out of warranty (or close to) and I do not intend to resell it (I'll repurpose it).

So I suppose I can try to make some experiments with both regular paste and liquid metal on the current CPU before I get the 5950X, just to see what happens. I was hoping someone has doen this before :D. If so, I'm all ears.

Thanks
First experiment, get a flat piece of glass, put some water on the glass, place the CPU IHS facing the glass surface and look through the glass, you should be able to see how much surface area of the IHS makes contact with the glass.

Unfortunately this is half the story as I dont know if your waterblock is concave or convex.

Good luck

** EDIT **
Here is image from my TechN block

Rectangle Cuisine Font Dish Pattern
Rectangle Font Gas Electronic device Computer hardware

Liquid metal was a bad idea for this block

;)

· Registered
Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER, 3950X, Corsair HX1000i, BeQuiet DarkBase Pro Rev.2, Gigabyte GTX1060 3GB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To get more specific, this is the WB I have on order:

It's a vario model, so I should be able to adjust the waterblock for optimum contact with the IHS.

Sorry, I'm not following... What is wrong in those pictures from the liquid metal?

· Registered
2,623 Posts
To get more specific, this is the WB I have on order:

It's a vario model, so I should be able to adjust the waterblock for optimum contact with the IHS.

Sorry, I'm not following... What is wrong in those pictures from the liquid metal?
The Techn bows in the middle, look at the pictures again, you will see that the paste in the middle is alot less than elsewhere.

Now imagine this is liquid metal, only the center line where the blocks bow applies pressure will have contact with the liquid metal ...

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha... I see.

So, you are saying that in the case of liquid metal the flatness of the cooler/IHS is more critical, because due to some surface tension differences the liquid metal would not contact as well in such cases?

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Aha... I see.

So, you are saying that in the case of liquid metal the flatness of the cooler/IHS is more critical, because due to some surface tension differences the liquid metal would not contact as well in such cases?
(y)(y)

· Enthusiast
873 Posts
Not sure what cooler was used in these images, or what way the paste was applied. So I wouldn't give these images too much thought.

It is true that an even surface is important, but liquid metal is still "liquid" and is very well be able to fill small uneven parts.

With proper mounting, LM will for sure have the best cooling performance.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Not sure what cooler was used in these images, or what way the paste was applied. So I wouldn't give these images too much thought.

It is true that an even surface is important, but liquid metal is still "liquid" and is very well be able to fill small uneven parts.

With proper mounting, LM will for sure have the best cooling performance.
😂 😂

· Registered
2,623 Posts
1/ Improve you reading comprehension
2/ Some people do post with experience using both liquid metal and thermal paste
3/ Do the most elementary calculations, how can a surface touch another surface if it does not have the "height" to reach the surface

Hope you can understand

:p

· Enthusiast
873 Posts
1/ Improve you reading comprehension
2/ Some people do post with experience using both liquid metal and thermal paste
3/ Do the most elementary calculations, how can a surface touch another surface if it does not have the "height" to reach the surface

Hope you can understand

:p
I said "with proper mounting". Hint: This includes a mostly even surface on the cooler, as well as the cpu.

Maybe YOU improve your reading comprehension :);):cool::poop:

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Not sure what cooler was used in these images
It says it right above the images.......

Hint: This includes a mostly even surface on the cooler, as well as the cpu.
Welcome to the start of the conversation

😂 😂

I believe the manufacturer of the TechN waterblock know more about their product than random people on the Internet and they acknowledge that liquid metal is not a good use for a regular AM4 IHS.

Thats as much as I can share about the TechN block as I have something else given to me by TechN (still have not got round to testing it) that has to do with liquid metal application, but what do I know ....

Almost every thermal paste is substantially "thicker" than every liquid metal solution that is sold for CPU/GPU cooling (keeping things with easy to understand terminology as unsure what is your first language.)

But its a free World you can believe what you want to believe.

All the best!

· Enthusiast
873 Posts
It says it right above the images.......

Welcome to the start of the conversation

😂 😂

I believe the manufacturer of the TechN waterblock know more about their product than random people on the Internet and they acknowledge that liquid metal is not a good use for a regular AM4 IHS.

Thats as much as I can share about the TechN block as I have something else given to me by TechN (still have not got round to testing it) that has to do with liquid metal application, but what do I know ....

Almost every thermal paste is substantially "thicker" than every liquid metal solution that is sold for CPU/GPU cooling (keeping things with easy to understand terminology as unsure what is your first language.)

But its a free World you can believe what you want to believe.

All the best!
Well maybe you link the article where you got the images from next time? ;) :whistle::giggle::geek:

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Well maybe you link the article where you got the images from next time? ;) :whistle::giggle::geek:
They are my images (it also says it btw)

;)

Here is another one by the way.... Kryonaut

Font Rectangle Art Technology Gas

If you have used Conductonaut before (or any liquid metal) you should be able to tell by how the IHS looks

;)

· Enthusiast
873 Posts
They are my images

;)

Here is another one by the way.... Kryonaut

View attachment 2512900

If you have used Conductonaut before (or any liquid metal) you should be able to tell by how the IHS looks

;)
You see, just by telling us that those were your images, and by adding another one where it can be seen in what way the paste was applied, makes for a much more informative post. :)(y)

· Registered
2,623 Posts
You see, just by telling us that those were your images, and by adding the one where it can be seen in what way the paste was applied, makes for a much more informative post. :)(y)
Look my edit above

The original post with the images did say they were mine!

Reading comprehension, we all do it when we read too fast

;)

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please bare with me here, as I am genuinely trying to understand the effect of liquid metal on the IHS.

The part of the IHS in your picture which seems to be very "reflective" (I think I can see reflected in it some light fixture on the ceiling) is the effect of the liquid metal? I know from memory that the IHS is usually not very reflective...

PS: I have a very good grasp of the English language, and work in STEM, so you can get as technical as you want :D

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Please bare with me here, as I am genuinely trying to understand the effect of liquid metal on the IHS.

The part of the IHS in your picture which seems to be very "reflective" (I think I can see reflected in it some light fixture on the ceiling) is the effect of the liquid metal? I know from memory that the IHS is usually not very reflective...

PS: I have a very good grasp of the English language, and work in STEM, so you can get as technical as you want :D
As I often resell my hardware, I do my best to keep my hardware as close to as "new" as possible.

To remove the Conductonaut I use a polishing compound, such as one that is used to remove scratches from DVD/CD media.

This is why you see the reflective effect, it takes a lot of polishing to get it to that stage

;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.