Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
You can see the speeds at the picture, what I was thinking when the roof fans and the floor fans are at 400-600rpm is that I don't want it to destroy the airflow from the intake or CPU fans. And as they are having more rpm I guess they will not do so?
I have the Noctua D15s with dualfans as CPU fan.
The chassi fans are 140mm and I have the meshify 2

So what do you think? Or should I change something?

Edit;
The picture are only showing what rpm the fans are in.
The correct airflow is; Front and bottom intake and the roof and back is out.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,703 Posts
unless you have a radiator the rear fan should be exhaust and all other fans should be intake.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Remove all top fans. If you can seal it, do it, and remove the foam in the front filter. It's a big improvement if you're running fans so low.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless you have a radiator the rear fan should be exhaust and all other fans should be intake.
The rear is exhaust also the back top are.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove all top fans. If you can seal it, do it, and remove the foam in the front filter. It's a big improvement if you're running fans so low.

I can't seal it it was nothing with the chassi to seal it. Do you have any suggestion how to seal it?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,364 Posts

I can't seal it it was nothing with the chassi to seal it. Do you have any suggestion how to seal it?
I agree with @Shenhua , the top fans are likely hurting rather than helping. If you can't seal it, it shouldn't make much of a difference in this case.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree with @Shenhua , the top fans are likely hurting rather than helping. If you can't seal it, it shouldn't make much of a difference in this case.
So I should get rid of both top fans?
Maybe I should just have the roof fan that are almost in the back at constant speed of 450rpm or similar? Maybe don't matter. I have a book to seal some of the roof.
So I should only have one fan to blow out the warm air? the one in the back?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do you use a dust filter at the top of your case? If so just put a piece of paper cut to size under the dust filter except for the last 25% near the back of the case. Definitely remove the top fans it's the noisiest location to place fans and they wont help airflow the way you've set them up. If you must have a top rear exhaust keep it at a low rpm to minimize pointless noise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I alawys use packing tape (seethrough ) to seal my top panels . just put it on the top , and u can place the filter above it .Nobody will ever see its taped.

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Hi,
You can see the speeds at the picture, what I was thinking when the roof fans and the floor fans are at 400-600rpm is that I don't want it to destroy the airflow from the intake or CPU fans. And as they are having more rpm I guess they will not do so?
I have the Noctua D15s with dualfans as CPU fan.
The chassi fans are 140mm and I have the meshify 2

So what do you think? Or should I change something?

Edit;
The picture are only showing what rpm the fans are in.
The correct airflow is; Front and bottom intake and the roof and back is out.
Case can't flow any more air in than it is flowing out. What flow in must flow out / what flows out must flow in. Before I'll say any more about your case airflow, please read guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow in link below. It only takes a few minutes and should help you understand case airflow a little better.

• Rep+
Reactions: rstolpe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I alawys use packing tape (seethrough ) to seal my top panels . just put it on the top , and u can place the filter above it .Nobody will ever see its taped.
Perfect, I can do that as I can take of one part of the roof / top and then have like you said then I have seald the top.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Case can't flow any more air in than it is flowing out. What flow in must flow out / what flows out must flow in. Before I'll say any more about your case airflow, please read guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow in link below. It only takes a few minutes and should help you understand case airflow a little better.
I have read it now and I guess that I'll remove the top fan and just use the back fan as enchase fan I think that's the best and also seal the top/roof of the chassi, se post above.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow when I did place the books on the top/roof to isolate it then the temp did drop.
2-4c on every component (Motherboard, RAM, CPU, NVME SSD etc.)

I guess I need to buy some ducktape and remove the top fan.
This is kind of strange as I thought that having two fans in the back as exchase should be great but I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Meshify 2 builds I've done have front full of 140mm with openings in fan mounting panel not covered by them blocked of so air they push into case can't leak in front of fans and go in circles. Sometimes I use a bottom intake as well and block other bottom openings same as front. Sometimes I block all opening not filled by intake fans in front half of case to make sure all intake air has to move back farther in case before it has exhaust vents to get out of. I also remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area for better front to back airflow to push heated component exhaust air on back and out. This means lower temp air is entering coolers (closer to room temp) so cooler components run cooler, so fans don't need to spin as fast, so system is quieter. There is no reason to use any exhaust fans, but all intake fans need to be high pressure rated fans. The stock fans in Meshify 2 are very low pressure (0.71mm H2O @ full speed) so can barely overcome resistance of grill and filter even at full speed. Get 2x or 3x 140mm fans rated about 1.3-1.5mm H2O @ 1300-1500rpm (full speed) for intakes and you will have a cool and quiet system.

I think you could just use a piece of paper or cardboard cut to fit under top vent grill. Much easier and cheaper than using tape.

Removing all PCIe back slot covers increases rear vent area so might not even need to block top venting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Meshify 2 builds I've done have front full of 140mm with openings in fan mounting panel not covered by them blocked of so air they push into case can't leak in front of fans and go in circles. Sometimes I use a bottom intake as well and block other bottom openings same as front. Sometimes I block all opening not filled by intake fans in front half of case to make sure all intake air has to move back farther in case before it has exhaust vents to get out of. I also remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area for better front to back airflow to push heated component exhaust air on back and out. This means lower temp air is entering coolers (closer to room temp) so cooler components run cooler, so fans don't need to spin as fast, so system is quieter. There is no reason to use any exhaust fans, but all intake fans need to be high pressure rated fans. The stock fans in Meshify 2 are very low pressure (0.71mm H2O @ full speed) so can barely overcome resistance of grill and filter even at full speed. Get 2x or 3x 140mm fans rated about 1.3-1.5mm H2O @ 1300-1500rpm (full speed) for intakes and you will have a cool and quiet system.

I think you could just use a piece of paper or cardboard cut to fit under top vent grill. Much easier and cheaper than using tape.

Removing all PCIe back slot covers increases rear vent area so might not even need to block top venting.
I only have the Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
NF-A14 have 2.08mm H2O @ 1500rpm so will work fine

• Rep+
Reactions: rstolpe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NF-A14 have 2.08mm H2O @ 1500rpm so will work fine
holy *** min idle temp is down to 25-26c with room temp on 21c.
This is great! Load temp is also down with almost 10c!

amazing what it can do to just cover the top.
I’m curious how it will be when I remove the top fan! Will do that in the weekend.

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
holy *** min idle temp is down to 25-26c with room temp on 21c.
This is great! Load temp is also down with almost 10c!

amazing what it can do to just cover the top.
I’m curious how it will be when I remove the top fan! Will do that in the weekend.
Indeed, it's pretty amazing how much cooler and quieter a system will run when case is flowing cool/room temp air to coolers. :D

It's the reason I preach optimizing case airflow in almost every thread involving coolers. ;)

Supplying component cooler with air less than 3c warmer than room is more important than what component cooler is being used. Yet almost nobody monitors air temp entering cooler. Instead to use room ambient and component temps .. while air temp is heating to 10c, 15c, 25c hotter than room .. end result is compents run 10c, 15c, 25c higher temps.
Every degree hotter air is entering cooler results in same degree higher component temp (at same load & fan speed).
Supply component cooler with air at or near room ambient and most any cooler will do the job.
Supply component cooler with air 10c hotter, (can be 15c, 25c hotter when gaming) than room and components will be running same 10c, 15c, 25c hotter meaning it's possible no component cooler can keep component nice and cool.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed, it's pretty amazing how much cooler and quieter a system will run when case is flowing cool/room temp air to coolers. :D

It's the reason I preach optimizing case airflow in almost every thread involving coolers. ;)

Supplying component cooler with air less than 3c warmer than room is more important than what component cooler is being used. Yet almost nobody monitors air temp entering cooler. Instead to use room ambient and component temps .. while air temp is heating to 10c, 15c, 25c hotter than room .. end result is compents run 10c, 15c, 25c higher temps.
Every degree hotter air is entering cooler results in same degree higher component temp (at same load & fan speed).
Supply component cooler with air at or near room ambient and most any cooler will do the job.
Supply component cooler with air 10c hotter, (can be 15c, 25c hotter when gaming) than room and components will be running same 10c, 15c, 25c hotter meaning it's possible no component cooler can keep component nice and cool.
The temps did get even better when I did remove the top fan. And I did cover the top with black A4 paper also in the buttom of the case I did put some papers ofc outside of the chassi. Now everything is much better :)

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
The temps did get even better when I did remove the top fan. And I did cover the top with black A4 paper also in the buttom of the case I did put some papers ofc outside of the chassi. Now everything is much better :)
Strange. Was not running and grill was covered?
Would love to see some pics of it!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts