Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this source, which is also the manufacturer of the card, my card supports SLI, however if you'll take a close look into the card you'll see that there is no port to connect to the SLI bridge, How is it possible?, is there an alternative to the side port that desegnated to bind the two cards together?.
here's a photo of a card that has the port i refer to:
http://www.geniman.com.hk/geforce7800gt_pcie.htm (tho included).
I'll highly appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Let's see if I get this...

Your profile shows a 6600 (assuming PCIe because of the motherboard), yet you offer a link to a 7800GT. Which one is your actual card?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
He posted a picture of a card showing the sli bridge connector.

It would appear that he has the 6600 DDR2 version (only one available with 256 meg, I think)

What does the manual say about it? If you dont have an SLI connection, I dont see how you can run SLI.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
some newer chipset mb's will be offering a "bridgless" sli . kinda a wannabe sli...it gives about 1/2 to 3/4 true sli performance. Thats how ASUS can run the dual core 7800 cards in sli as there is no bridge connector on them either.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hellgy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My card is one of the older this company manufacturing, yet it has no SLI port,
the second question is whether my motherboard will run in bridgeless SLI mode if I'll commit the resistor mod to adjust it to running in SLI mode?.
I also would like to draw your attention to the specification of my particular card in the manufacturer site
i referred to in the original post, some seemed to miss it.
-Reps for all of you guys.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Wow i just found a 512mb 6600, anyway back on topic: I am pretty sure that some modules of that card cant support SLI, correnct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I included a link in the original post, which leads to the specification of my particular card from the manufacturer website, the manufacturer claims that this card supports SLI dual GPU tech, however it has no SLI bridge connector, it turns out that it's a card for a bridgless SLI system which only supported by the newest drivers and the newest mobos and generates only 1/2 f the performance of a regular combination...
my question is whether my mobo can support such combination with the SLI mod done, or not.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellgy

I included a link in the original post, which leads to the specification of my particular card from the manufacturer website, the manufacturer claims that this card supports SLI dual GPU tech, however it has no SLI bridge connector, it turns out that it's a card for a bridgless SLI system which only supported by the newest drivers and the newest mobos and generates only 1/2 f the performance of a regular combination...
my question is whether my mobo can support such combination with the SLI mod done, or not.

Short answer: yes. Once you mod the ultra-d to sli, it iwll work both bridged and bridgeless. But be aware that DFI revised their mobos so no pencil mod could work. So if you have a fairly old mobo, you are ok for the SLI pencil mod.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'll see what's the manufacturing date and let you know, where do i find it?, is it in a format similar to the one with the AMD CPUs- weeks and years?.
Is there any alternative to the pencil mod?.
I have this motherboard for over a month now, still didn't have a chance of using it...
I was very surprised to find out that there's an 512 mb Geforce 6600 my self, when i was looking for a second card to go with my current one on eBay.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Bridgeless SLI. I did it with my 6600GTs before I got my bridge from ebay. It works quite well, and not much of a performance hit. Specially with those 6600s I would think. It'll work with new drivers. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Quote:

'll see what's the manufacturing date and let you know, where do i find it?, is it in a format similar to the one with the AMD CPUs- weeks and years?.
I have this motherboard for over a month now, still didn't have a chance of using it...
I was very surprised to find out that there's an 512 mb Geforce 6600 my self, when i was looking for a second card to go with my current one on eBay.

Don't go for the 512 6600, it's going to be a waste of money :-/

And like everyone said, I think since the 8x.xx series drivers were released you can run brideless SLi

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

The rev is usually found on a sticker in one of the PCI or PCIx slots.
No, there is no alternative that I am aware of.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I extracted 2 sequences from the stickers on the PCI slots, there was one warranty sticker that i ignored tho.
-0001292000031FEO
-NF7U91-100R.AD0
Can you clarify the whether the pencil mode is attainable or not based on those sequences?.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

OK, I extracted 2 sequences from the stickers on the PCI slots, there was one warranty sticker that i ignored tho.
-0001292000031FEO
-NF7U91-100R.AD0
Can you clarify the whether the pencil mode is attainable or not based on those sequences?.

Your board is rev AD0. Do not know if it is moddable or not, but from what I have been reading, it is. Check this two links:

The naysayers at anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

and the guys who say it can be done at dfi-street. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...ght=pencil+mod
Enjoy your new SLI motherboard!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, one more rep+ for you for running this searches for me!.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, what a DXG motherboard good for if it doesn't supports SLI?, is it CrossFire compatible then?, why do i need two PCI-E slots for?, i read that i can run 2 nvidia graphics cards on my mobo as defualt, they'll just will not perform as good as they'll perform on an SLI mobo.

EDIT: OK, i found the answer, DFI as many other companies added another PCI slot to the Ultra chipset based motherboard as a low end solution, Nvidia didn't liked that and disabled it functionality in the newer forceware, i assume that i shouldn't be worried about that if I'll succeed to commit the mod.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Ya dude. The pencil mod works. All they did was add some epoxy you might have to scrape off. I did it...works perfect! Just go to an autoparts store and get some window defogger repair kit. Use that instead of a pencil cause the pencil doesn't always work and it can come off. Once you have it modded it's all good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts