Overclock.net banner

Does overclockability disapear over time?

303 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MADMAX22
Hello all,

so I haven't been very active in these forums for some time, other than some lurking and the occasional post, but I'm having PC problems and need help.

So my PC wouldn't boot to windows even with a VERY mild overclock today (300x7=2100).... 2 years ago I was running this thing @ 3.25 (465x7) 24/7 stable folding...

I just want to know if this is a known fact, or if this is the beginning of the end for my rig.

In terms of settings, I had 1.325 VCore, VDimm +0.2, G(MCH) +1 and FSB +1, and it wasn't booting @ 2.1 GHz

I used to run @ 3.0GHZ easy w/ those settings.

I'm planning an upgrade to i5 when it comes out (don't need all the fancy xfire/sli stuff), but I have at least 3 months with this rig to go and Blu-Ray encoding is REALLY painful @ 1.86GHz.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I believe that your chip degrades as it is used (as well as most other electronic components) and overclocking/over voltage only aids to speed this process up. Forget the exact term I'm looking for. Sure someone will pipe in.
Overclockability does disappear over time...but I don't think in a span of 2 years with those settings you had.

I would run some benches at stock to see if you are in fact running a healthy chip.

Also, check your temps and check to see if everything is plugged in properly. A loose ram nodule or cable could be the culprit.
Could be a number of things. For one check to make sure things arent full of dust, that all your fans are still working. Things like that. Run memtest. Ram modules have a far higher rate of failure then anything else from my experience. Not too mention the number of ram chips on a ram module just increases these chances.

That voltage for a 65nm dual core doesnt seem that high. Ive had chips run that long with far more voltage and still oc the same.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson
View Post

I believe that your chip degrades as it is used (as well as most other electronic components) and overclocking/over voltage only aids to speed this process up. Forget the exact term I'm looking for. Sure someone will pipe in.

electromigration
See less See more
Well the thing is that the pc did actually end up booting up, and I'm 99.999% sure that everything is relatively clean, as I moved everything from my old case to my new case a couple of months ago.

Temps for the CPU @ idle right now are 36 and 39 as per Coretemp. I'm not a total neophyte (have been around here for nearly 2 years after all
)

Should I still test the ram even though the PC did eventually boot?
See less See more
I would yes. Just to be sure. Make sure you have your ram running at the settings your try to achieve on the oc and see what happens.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.