Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is such a good idea ive only considerd trying it with 2 gtx480s, problem is the tubes will be going upwards because my rig is flipped upside down

so upside down it looks like the liquid will get pushed in 1 hole of the first graphics card, and jus come strait out the same card without the others getting filled with liquid.

maybe using a smaller size tube on the last exit tube would create abit of pressure build up forcing the other card to fill up maybe?

if this works do you think the temps will be better than if i used the normal "series configuration"?

·
Car cheaper than computer
3,049 Posts
If you have enough flow, it won't be an issue I think, due to the resistance of the blocks.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
It works fine, the resistance of the GPU blocks is much greater than that of tubing. The flow should spread across the blocks just fine.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,322 Posts
since you have ek blocks, may I suggest one of these:

tis a bit more expensive than using tubing for either a parallel or series connection but tis damn sexy
. Cant wait till I get mine

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,322 Posts
ek has a few of these blocks available for sli/crossfire using ek fc gpu blocks:
-Dual (ie. slot #1 & 3) in parallel and series
-Triple (ie. slot # 1, 3, & 5) parallel and series (This is what I got, parallel, and I purchased a "blank" link to plug up the middle outlet until i get my 3rd fermi w/ another ek block)

New ones: I think EK is selling them already and the US retailers should have them soon.
-Dual "3-slot" parallel & series: this is the same length as the triple but with the exception that the middle inlet/outlets have been deleted (ie, using slots #1 & #5)
-Quad- quad sli/xfire (ie. slot #1, 3, 5, & 7)

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcobra220 View Post
so upside down it looks like the liquid will get pushed in 1 hole of the first graphics card, and jus come strait out the same card without the others getting filled with liquid.
To quote myself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post
...water will take the path of least resistance, but this isn't to say that it will all go through the first card. As water flows through a component it creates resistance due to friction. This will mean that the water will then try to flow through a different component, which in turn will create resistance. As the resistance to flow is related to the flow rate, the flows will even out across all components (with equal restrictions) to have the lowest combined resistance to flow.

Consider the analogy of people going through the checkouts of a busy supermarket. People will follow the line of least resistance too, but this is not to say that they will all queue up at the first checkout that they come to. They will spread out over all of the checkouts evenly.

Of course if one checkout is slower than the others (more restrictive), less people will go through it in a certain time. Likewise if one is quicker, more people will go through it. This is not a perfect analogy as people make a decision based on how many people in the queue, how much shopping they have etc. Water doesn't care.

You could actually have a high and a low restriction component in parallel and water would still flow through both, but more would go through the low restriction component.

Given that all the cards are the same design, and with CNC machining I wouldn't expect dimensional variations of more than ±0.5mm (possibly less), the restriction of all the blocks will be very similar. Because of this you will see a very similar flow rate through each block.
As Charlie said, if you have a very low flow rate then you might have problems, but if your flow rate is that low then you will be having problems anyway. And in a closed loop, up and down is not all that much of an issue, it is almost a weightless system. Look at a syphon, the water going down through the tubing will pull the water up through the pipe, the same effect is present in your loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts