Overclock.net banner

does SIIG 7.1 pci sound card SPDIF outputs 7.1 signal ?

3751 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  sashikanta
I have a SIIG 7.1 sound wave pci sound card. It has SPDIF out put. It doesnt seem to send the 7.1 signlas via digital output. I could hear only the 2 channels.
In siig control panel when i select the digital output option , it seems to show only 2 -channels .
Does this mean the hardware doesnt support 7.1 channel digital out via the SPDIF/out option. Or the SIIG driver is not supported to send the 7.1 channel out infomration via SPDIF out?.

Is there any solution for this?

Please help.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Hello there.

Right - the answer first - No. Your soundcard cannot output 5.1 or 7.1 via the S/PDIF option.

Here is why.

This is a common question that many people ask in this forum and sadly mistake people often made regarding soundcards. Pretty much every card on the market these days outputs in the region of 5-7.1 audio via the analogue ports, yet not all can do this via the S/PDIF outputs (in either optical or coaxial)

I looked up your card and I don't see any mention of it being able to output Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect.

The idea of the S/PDIF output is it literally bypasses all the signal processing options you may have available and allows the card to output the audio in its raw form.
By default the S/PDIF only outputs 2 channel PCM audio and you have to rely on the analogue outputs for multi-channel audio.
Note. If you have a fancy soundcard such as a Xonar D2X you may favor the analogue audio output (I did anyway) as due to the fancy hardware onboard - you get a rather nice sound.

To get more than 2 channels out of your S/PDIF outputs, you have a few options at your disposal.
You can either hang onto your current card and use the analogue outputs if your receiver supports 5.1 analogue input for general usage, but if you are playing a file that has either a DTS or AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio stream (Say.. a generic DVD) then you can output this via the S/PDIF option because the card is simply dumping the raw audio from the DVD.

To output 5.1 via the S/PDIF ports for general usage you need to get a card that supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. These two technologies will take any audio and encode it into the appropriate format for your receiver to decode. Obviously this needs to be licensed and subsequently makes the card somewhat more expensive so it's down to the manufacturer whether they choose to implement the feature.

Dolby Digital Live is currently available in sound cards from manufacturers such as Creative Labs, Diamond Multimedia, TerraTec, Turtle Beach, HT OMEGA SYSTEM, Auzentech and Asus using C-Media chipsets. The SoundStorm, used for the Xbox game console and certain nForce2-based PCs, used an early form of this technology.
DDL is also available on motherboards with codecs such as Realtek's ALC882D, ALC888DD and ALC888H. (Wikipedia)

If you have a little more money to invest, you can opt for a card that has DTS Connect on it. The advantage of going this route is the audio is encoded at a much higher bitrate (1509.75 kbit/s versus Dolby Digitals 640 kbit/s) and the audio dumped is 24bit rather than 16bit though you won't hear the difference because I'd have assumed all Windows sounds were 16bit anyway.

If you do choose to go down this route I'd personally pick a Xonar card up.
Creative went the lazy ass way of implementing DTS Connect/DDL. It is implemented via ASIO and thus uses a bit of your CPU power to encode it.
The Asus stuff is done 100% in hardware and uses no resources.

I hope that helps.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by msremmert
View Post

Hello there.

Right - the answer first - No. Your soundcard cannot output 5.1 or 7.1 via the S/PDIF option.

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Will there not be any option by using the drivers or media application to encode the 7.1 singal and send it via the SPDIF/out to a/v receiver (instead of on board encoding) ?.

Most of the time i will be playing MKV movies from my PC.
See less See more
When you say .mkv movies, I am presuming you are referring to downloaded high-def movies? As I have a couple and I am not endorsing piracy I see no reason why I cannot help you.

Like DVDs, very often a downloaded high-def movie has a Dolby Digital or DTS signal encoded along with the video and subsequently yes, it is possible do dump that audio via the S/PDIF option, but there is no encoding required for your receiver to deal with it.

The S/PDIF out option by default is there to dump raw audio, either in PCM format from the PC or AC3/DTS from the appropriate source such as a dvd or downloaded mkv... Only with a somewhat more expensive card can you encode audio into AC3/DTS on the fly but I've been through this, read the opening post.

If it's anything like every other cards I have encountered, first install a piece of software called AC3Filter. The other alternative is you download the k-lite codec pack or something and go from there. You need to find your own way of decoding the video etc, but outputting via S/PDIF should work even without AC3Filter.

Afterwards simply right click on the speaker icon on the botton right, select "playback devices" and choose the S/PDIF/Digital output option by default and go from there.
I am running Windows 7, but it should be a similar to Vista. If not give me a shout and I'll get my mate who has Vista to bring his PC in here.

It should use your digital output by default and dump the raw audio to your receiver.

I hope that helps.

Edit: Your other alternative is to use VLC. A cracking little media player but I've always found Windows Media Player with the appropriate codecs gives me a much clearer picture.
To use VLC and dump the raw audio, first select the digital output as your default playback device, then open your movie in VLC. After you have done this, select Audio -> Audio Device and select the S/PDIF option. Unusually I have found this doesn't always work with my set up but you may have more luck than I.

I won't lie, for beginners this isn't the easiest of subjects to get your head around but once you get it, it will help you no-end.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

Like DVDs, very often a downloaded high-def movie has a Dolby Digital or DTS signal encoded along with the video and subsequently yes, it is possible do dump that audio via the S/PDIF option, but there is no encoding required for your receiver to deal with it...

In Windows 7 , when testing the dolby digital test tone my receiver detected the source as Dolby. Also I am able to get th dolby signal when playing the DVD movies via the Window media player. But playing other media files with dolby digital signal via windows media player doesnt seem to send the dolby information. like mkv,mp4,wmv...etc. Any solution for this ?

Thanks Again ...!

Quote:

View Post

When you say .mkv movies, I am presuming you are referring to downloaded high-def movies? As I have a couple and I am not endorsing piracy I see no reason why I cannot help you..

I also protest piracy...Currently since we dont have major blu ray collection for hollywood movies in my place (India) I have to go for this... I have only option to order and ship which costs me the double price ..
See less See more
Thanks all for your support.

With the suggestions you all gave to me i have managed to send the DTS/dolby sound via my SPDIF output. Now my a/v receiver detects the input source directly as the Dolby or DTS according to the sound encoded in the movie.

I have selected 'Wave output' in the VL player and selcected 'CMEDIA digital out' for the sound to go out.

Surprisingly i seems to get the surround information from the games i am playing when i select the 'CMEDIA digital out' as the audio information for some games like rally, Need for speed shift...etc.

This was the information i was looking for and i bought this card ahead of my inbuilt sound card specifically to send the dolby directly. Inititllay i was frustrated as it was not working the way i want , now i feel this is worth it. And even quality of the sound is better than the my inbuilt sound card when i am connecting to my PC speakers. Highly recommending this card (be careful if you have windows 7 , it seems to have issues in windows 7) .

Thanks again all for your kind support.
See less See more
I readed this thread and it have much sense.
But still i have a problem with my creative sound card. I didn't check forums and get informed before I buy it, to see that creative sound cards are really bad.

So the problem I have is, that I can play my dvd movies from media player throu optical spdif. Media player is connected to optical in on sound card.
And when I set media player to PCm it works only 2 channels (stereo), but when I set to RAW, there is no sound.

I assume that sound card doesn't decode a signal from media player.
And I know creative have really bad drivers.

I use windows 7 and PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series .
If there is no way to play a 5.1 from my media player to this sound card, I will sell it and buy another which can.
Hi, I recently brought a SoundWave 7.1 PCI Sound Card and it has a SPDIF out and my speaker is Logitech Z5500 and it has a SPDIF in and these two sockets are different so I brought a TOSLINK to MINIPLUG Cable but the sound card out jack and that new cable is not working, its not going to the sound card jack completely. I think I select a wrong cable. Please suggest which cable is fit for this. Images is attached...

4r9c7d.jpg

and below is my cable which I brought it from ebay and the cable is not able to insert into the sound-card jack please suggest which cable is good. Coz i cannot able to insert the TOSLINK into My Sound Card its little thick.

140.jpg
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.