Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could tell me how good these CPUs perform at stock clocks compared to SB? also If you odnt mind i would like to try some benchmarks

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used to have a Z800 motherboard with a couple of X5650 then upgraded to X5675. When the motherboard died I've sold those over priced at the time X5675 for around 150€ a piece and bought a couple of E5-2670 for 150€ and a brand new motherboard for 225€ added another 4 sticks of memory and i was happy with the upgrade.

Still have that dual e5-2670 build and other board with a couple of V2's.

·
Hardware Gearhead
2,106 Posts
I have a z800 that i could test with. I have a pair of x5550 and e56xx (cant remember which exact model)

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
It is probably the best way to get high multi core performance for cheap.

It won't be great for games though. But this isn't a system one would build for that anyways.

But Ryzen 8 core IMO is a better option overall

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
I was wondering if someone could tell me how good these CPUs perform at stock clocks compared to SB? also If you odnt mind i would like to try some benchmarks
Clock for clock architecturally wise the Sandy Bridge chips will outperform the Westmere chips by a not insignificant margin. Multi-thread though, dual Westmere is still respectably powerful.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Clock for clock architecturally wise the Sandy Bridge chips will outperform the Westmere chips by a not insignificant margin. Multi-thread though, dual Westmere is still respectably powerful.
Yes i know but wanted to compare in today games and since they are cheaper than buying a quad core with unlocked multiplier I was curious about how they could perform

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It won't be great for games though. But this isn't a system one would build for that anyways.

yes but the price of DDR4 ram have increased and buying a new platform will be more expensive andand the amount of ram that I will be able to buy could be probably less

·
Registered
123 Posts
currently im running a dual westmere setup with x5680 cpu's (3.33 stock turbo to 3.6) This is running unraid for a server along with a gtx960 and hd7870 in two separate vms to run steam in home streaming. at least from my use i havnt noticed any problems with clockspeed on these. I imagine a higher end gpu would find the bottle neck but this is definitely a workable setup for my gaming needs.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
I had to use my E5620 for a week recently. With my Vega 64 and 16GB of 1066 RAM, it played TW:W II, The Talos Principle, and FIFA 18 just fine at 1440p. For 60Hz gaming, it's really not much of a liability. That's on the quad-core E5620 with a low stock clock of 2.4GHz/2.66GHz Turbo as well. With one of the higher-clocked models (perhaps with a bit of base clock tweaking) you could do much, much worse.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I wonder since the games I plany usually are multithreading support..

so anyone else who owns a dual Xeon 6 core?

·
Registered
585 Posts

This.

My dual x5687 (3.6 ghz 4core) scores dead on par with a stock ryzen 7 1700. The 6 cores, although they have another 4 cores 8 threads total don't help as much as the higher clocks do for your situation. That said, i have a friend on a dual x5672 with gtx1080 we built him before ryzen came out, no bottlenecking and cant say that he should jump to ryzen either. If i had to spend money now to get one of the two setups for gaming and general use, i'd go ryzen, it's 1/3 the power consumption.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts