Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend spilled mountain dew on my unibody macbook. Luckily, the dew only got in the left most row of keys, and I'm pretty sure with the way it's designed (and the small amount of liquid that actually got in it) i hope it will turn on again (i immediately ripped the battery out). My question, as the dew dries it is leaving a little bit of a sugary sludge, should i void my warranty and try to take the whole thing apart and check for/clean this out, or should i turn it on (after waiting another 16 hours or so) and hope for no short? Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly. There are water sensors under the keyboard, but to check them you need to void the warranty and open it. And there as such a small amount spilled on it, I don't know if it reached the water sensors or not...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! This actually was really bad timing, today my final project for a college course was due, and as i was about to go print it this happened. I have an extension until tomorrow, it it doesn't boot I will be in some serious, serious trouble... Thanks for the reassurance guys!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Mountain dew is absolutely conductive. There is sodium and other additives in it which makes water very conductive. Let it dry and try it.

EDIT: if it doesn't work, take the HDD (if possible, I dont know about unibodies) out and retrieve the data with another computer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
let it dry out, it will either work or there will be an incident.

generally liquids that one might spill on a computer are conductive.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I don't know if this will make you feel better. The second day I had my Asus I spilled beer on it. I wiped and thought I got it. 10 minutes later started acting funny Screen started going dim turned off would not start. a few hours later started fine and no problems since (about 4 months). I think Dew might be worse but mine clearly touched something and did not fry.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I may be a n00b, but i know more about computers then 95% who own one.... and 110% more then a APPLE owner. YES! i can power on a computer, No! I dont talk with my hands, and yes I DO know how to ST*U."

you mean AN apple? lol good grammar

·
Registered
688 Posts
my son spilled soda on my wifes gateway, I was sure it was dead.. I eventually took it apart and dryed it off, still nothing.. So with nothing to lose I gave it a bath in rubbing alcohol, now it works perfect. I wouldn't suggest that though. lol

·
Science
3,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Havegooda
View Post

First, punch your friend.

Second, you should be fine, though the keys might be sticky.

~Gooda~

QFT

friend who spills soday on your crap is not a friend, he is now your enemy

I would open it up and clean everything but im just strange

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
As long as the sugar/sodium/whatever else they put in Dew stays a solid you're ok. In solid form they will not conduct electricity, when they're liquid however thats a hole different story.
Even then, liquids arent the best conductors anyway.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
As long as the sugar/sodium/whatever else they put in Dew stays a solid you're ok. In solid form they will not conduct electricity, when they're liquid however thats a hole different story.
Even then, liquids arent the best conductors anyway.
I hope my MT DEW never comes with anything Solid in it.

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
Sugar in water does not conduct but anything that ionizes in water.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Sugar is a weak conductor. Salt water is worse, but really any water INCLUDING DISTILLED is going to conduct once it hits your motherboard.

I've got a M1210 laptop here that got OJ spilled on it. My friend's sister spilled it on there, and of course turned it off, took out battery and let it dry (under my advice), but they didn't completely listen, a little while after they started it back up, it died, most likely a short from the sugar in the OJ.

You need to take the laptop apart, and wash the motherboard in distilled water, let it soak for a few hours, then let it dry for a few days.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzman View Post
"I may be a n00b, but i know more about computers then 95% who own one.... and 110% more then a APPLE owner. YES! i can power on a computer, No! I dont talk with my hands, and yes I DO know how to ST*U."

you mean AN apple? lol good grammar
Is that all you saw in that post that was bad grammar?

Quote:
"I may be a n00b, but I know more about computers than 95% who own one.... and 110% more than an APPLE owner. YES! I can power on a computer, No! I don't talk with my hands, and yes I DO know how to ST*U."
It had to be done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts