Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on upgrading my graphics card soon. But, since i'm going to be keeping my current system for awhile I thought that I would want the most performance I can get out of it. So I thought that a 5970 would be a good investment. However, i'm not sure how close it actually gets to saturating the pci-e 2.0 bus. Since I won't be upgrading to pci-e 3.0, I want something that is going to saturate a pci-e 2.0 slot pretty well.

So, my question is, does a 5970 fully saturate the pci-e 2.0 slot or does it not even come close? Because if it doesn't, I might have to hold off upgrading for a little while longer till something does.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
no it does not FULLY saturate the bus, but it needs more than an 8x slot to not be bottlenecked.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

no it does not FULLY saturate the bus, but it needs more than an 8x slot to not be bottlenecked.

How close does it get to it? Are there any figures that support this?

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I was thinking what about an overclocked 5970? How would that saturate the bus? Because I would be buying an aftermarket cooler and oc'ing it hopefully to around 1ghz core

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i think your cpu would be a bottleneck before any card would saturate the pci-express 2.0 slot. so go for whatever card you want.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitd_kim View Post
i think your cpu would be a bottleneck before any card would saturate the pci-express 2.0 slot. so go for whatever card you want.
Even a hexa core???

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
why would you wait to upgrade if a card that performs better than anything else does not saturate the pci-e lane?

i dont get it. by the way your cpu will be a bottleneck unless yo go over 4.0ghz and even then your cpu will be the only thing holding a 5970 back.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

why would you wait to upgrade if a card that performs better than anything else does not saturate the pci-e lane?

i dont get it. by the way your cpu will be a bottleneck unless yo go over 4.0ghz and even then your cpu will be the only thing holding a 5970 back.

Well, I do plan on upgrading the cpu in the future also, maybe to a 6 core depending on how they oc.

I guess I worry too much. I just want to get a gpu that will satisfy me for about 2-3 years. That's the only reason i'm really worried lol

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

Well, I do plan on upgrading the cpu in the future also, maybe to a 6 core depending on how they oc.

I guess I worry too much. I just want to get a gpu that will satisfy me for about 2-3 years. That's the only reason i'm really worried lol

5970 will EASILY hold you up for probably more than 3 years....unless we get like ray tracing or something, but still, the way it looks now, you are good for a looooooooooooooong time with that card

·
Registered
402 Posts
How did things turn out here?

I got my HIS HD 5970 in late 2009. I still run it at 900/5000, and it's a champ. It still keeps up and outperforms most cards, with the exception of some flagships that just came out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts