Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the ones on ebay just come with the card alone. Does it need the battery to work? I know i need the SAS to SATA cable, but is there anything else i need to get with this card to make it work? thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
They don't NEED a BBU but you should get one if you can, since they'll disable write back caching (by default) without it. This is to prevent potential data loss in the event of, e.g. a power failure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
data loss such as what i was working on at the time, or data loss like the drives were deleted? Does write back caching make the drives faster? I haven't heard of it before.

Thanks! and your rep is 1234 btw.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Whatever you were working on at the time.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
does it need it? No.

Should you buy one? Depends what you are doing with it...

If you just run RAID0 on the 6/i there is maybe not so much point running with a battery - since you should have everything backed up anyway any data corruption that occurs due to a BSOD or power issue should be solved with a quick re-image.

However if this is a storage array running parity RAID (5 or 6), then you have a write-hole that can result in silent corruption if there is an issue with the PC and you do not have a BBU (and a UPS won't always save you here). The controller reads the data that needs changing, then starts to update it but power is lost, causing undetectable problems with your data. With a BBU the controller just waits with the data to be written in its cache. If running this setup then you should get a BBU (or switch off the RAID capabilities of the controller and run RAIDZ in software to avoid the write-hole issue as it uses copy-on write instead).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts