Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at upgrading my computer to i7 primarily for folding. These are the items I have selected.

CPU: i7 930 from microcenter for $212 with tax.

Motherboard: B stock EVGA x58 SLI $90.00 shipped

Memory: 6gb Patriot DDR3 $109.00 with rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220503

Heatsink: Scythe MUGEN-2 $35.00

This come to a total of around $450. Does this setup seem like its a decent deal? Also I was wondering if these components would most likely get me to at least 4.0ghz? Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scutzi128 View Post
I am looking at upgrading my computer to i7 primarily for folding. These are the items I have selected.

CPU: i7 930 from microcenter for $212 with tax.

Motherboard: B stock EVGA x58 SLI $90.00 shipped

Memory: 6gb Patriot DDR3 $109.00 with rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220503

Heatsink: Scythe MUGEN-2 $35.00

This come to a total of around $450. Does this setup seem like its a decent deal? Also I was wondering if these components would most likely get me to at least 4.0ghz? Any feedback would be great.
Other than the heat-sink which I've not heard much about, I'd say "definitely". You may consider the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for a low-cost heat-sink with good performance, it has good reviews for its price; look at the feedback on Newegg. With good cooling in your case, I don't see why you couldn't reach 4.0 GHz.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aln688
View Post

Other than the heat-sink which I've not heard much about, I'd say "definitely". You may consider the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for a low-cost heat-sink with good performance, it has good reviews for its price; look at the feedback on Newegg. With good cooling in your case, I don't see why you couldn't reach 4.0 GHz.

The Mugen 2 is a very good budget heatsink. Surprised you havent heard about it. It's huge though so you might want to consider getting the CM 212+ which will cool nearly as well as the Mugen2.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Ah so jealous you have a MC near you... 200 for a 930 is ridiculous even with tax, thats much cheaper than most other places.

B stock is a great deal, have heard great things about it and that particular board. Good purchase; a definite worthwhile upgrade from that 775 system.

In the meantime, I would add a Sythe ULTRA KRAZE fan to that heatsink and replace it with the old one.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own 4x1gb sticks of 1600 ddr. Is it possible to just run dual channel on a 1366 board so I could use the ram I already own?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts