Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm doing up an old PC,

The Intel chip on Intel site says its lga775,

If I get a motherboard that is lga775 will these be compatible?

And then I could maybe up the chip to a better lga775 chip.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
It's not that simple, unfortunately. What's the exact brand and model of the motherboard, and what's the exact model CPU?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cpu is Intel core 2 duo cpu E4600.
I'm not sure what motherboard it is, it's a Fujitsu p2520,

It's an old computer and wasn't very powerful even when I got it, it was just for a second computer.

I was just looking and I've found lga775 motherboards so though I could upgrade that then the cpu.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearchitect1 View Post

The cpu is Intel core 2 duo cpu E4600.
I'm not sure what motherboard it is, it's a Fujitsu p2520,

It's an old computer and wasn't very powerful even when I got it, it was just for a second computer.

I was just looking and I've found lga775 motherboards so though I could upgrade that then the cpu.
I'm a little confused; your thread title says you already have a motherboard and you just want to know if a CPU you have is compatible with it. However, now it sounds like you're still looking for a motherboard to go with the E4600.

I'm not sure I'm following. Can you help me?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Yep. Motherboards will vary with CPU support. This is mostly dependant on the BIOS having the CPUID microcodes to identify the CPU. If the BIOS can't identify the CPU with a CPUID microcode, then it will not work on the motherboard. Generally BIOS mods to input these CPUID microcodes fixes these issues. Otherwise BIOS updates to improve CPU compatibility.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
The chipset also determines compatibility.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Yep. Motherboards will vary with CPU support. This is mostly dependant on the BIOS having the CPUID microcodes to identify the CPU. If the BIOS can't identify the CPU with a CPUID microcode, then it will not work on the motherboard. Generally BIOS mods to input these CPUID microcodes fixes these issues. Otherwise BIOS updates to improve CPU compatibility.
Hi thanks this answers it. I was wondering how do you know if the bios has the CPUID microcodes?

Because I was thinking about getting a new motherboard with lga 775 socket, to put my chip in I have now, but then upgrade to a Xeon.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You can check online via the motherboard vendor page which you can find usually by searching on Google CIA brand and motherboard model. They usually have a CPU Support list which says if it support it or not. If it does it will say on which BIOS version.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearchitect1 View Post

Hi thanks this answers it. I was wondering how do you know if the bios has the CPUID microcodes?

Because I was thinking about getting a new motherboard with lga 775 socket, to put my chip in I have now, but then upgrade to a Xeon.
I wouldn't.

You would be better off buying a dirt cheap H150 board and i3/Pentium CPU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts