Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ganged = Dual channel mode for RAM. All cores get access to 100% of the ram.

unganged = single channel. Each core gets access to a stick of ram only.

EDIT: If you can, I would change it to Ganged.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want everything to work how it was designed to and allow for me to go 4GHz
I don't understand why its not in dual channel mode.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
I'm confused, it shows as Dual Channel in the CPU-Z screen. Why are you thinking it is running in single channel?

Ganged and Un-ganged isn't a huge deal in performance difference from what I can tell, but Ganged does help of course. I have much better OC results running un-ganged though, so stuck with it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostintyme View Post
Ganged = Dual channel mode for RAM. All cores get access to 100% of the ram.

unganged = single channel. Each core gets access to a stick of ram only.

EDIT: If you can, I would change it to Ganged.
uh... both are dual channel. if they are in the correct dimm slot to my knowledge. It's just that unganged, it gives access to the ram directly to the cpu cores.

mainly, if u intend on multi tasking alot use unganged. Truthfully, the difference between them is like 1% here 1% there.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Your RAM is running at 1333 9-9-9-24 (poor settings AND most likely less than rated), there is definitely something wrong there since most Ripjaws kits sell at 1600 CAS7-9. What is the exact kit you have? Since your 955 is a C3 you should experience no problems setting it to rated speed & timings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Your RAM is running at 1333 9-9-9-24 (poor settings AND most likely less than rated), there is definitely something wrong there since most Ripjaws kits sell at 1600 CAS7-9. What is the exact kit you have? Since your 955 is a C3 you should experience no problems setting it to rated speed & timings.
I have this set, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-277-_-Product.

Haven't really touched the bios, also my ram are in second slot1 and second slot2 because my ram doesn't fit under my cpu fan. ^-^ on a screenshot of cpu-z it says unganged.
LL

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Slots 3 & 4 are fine, but see if you can lower those timings to a more acceptable 7-7-7-21-28 (near-equivalent of 1600 9-9-9-24-33)

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SidewaysBox
View Post

it's slots 2 & 4 and is there a thread specific to these new asus boards for new comers?

I see... I'd half expect it to be slots 3 & 4 but if it still runs dual channel in 2 & 4 according to CPU-Z that's okay.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
Ok lets get the facts straight - a lot of misinformation here.

Ganged mode opens up one memory controller to allow a 1x128-bit highway to RAM whereas Unganged mode splits the highway to 2x64-bit highway allowing both IMC modules to access RAM independently.

The general consensus is Ganged Mode offers better performance for applications in need of only single-core/single-thread optimization allowing loads of room on that 128-bit path. Unganged Mode offers 2x64-bit paths allowing multiple-core/multiple-thread access if applications are optimized to use them.

You generally want Unganged mode for quads and up.

Both modes operate in 'dual-channel' mode.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,757 Posts
Quote:

problem is its saying in that screenshot i just posted that its unganged. :/

unganged is the optimal mode, do not change to ganged. Disregard what you read earlier.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Ganged can be useful for single-threaded (i.e. most memory) benchmarks, but otherwise stick to ganged.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
GanjaSMK is correct about Ganged vs. Unganged modes. Too much misinformation about that. People need to do their research. Just make sure that the ram modules are in the correct slots according to the manual. If they are in the wrong slots, change them to the right slots. The ram speed generally has to be set manually in the BIOS because the board will just choose a default speed. Also make sure that timings and voltage are correct. If you are going to OC with that CPU all that you will have to do is use the multi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts