Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what ya guys prefer when gaming?? Hooking up DDL via optical or using the analogue connects???

I have an X-fi connected to my Logitech Z5500 and I cannot decide which is better. Sometimes I feel the DDL is better other times the analogue feels superior.

·
Registered
196 Posts
for 2 speakers optical is always better. in 5.1 mode DDL compresses the signals so some info is lost. so hook them both up and decide which sounds better to you

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use a D2X rather than an X-Fi but I thought I'd post anyway. Your X-Fi Titanium is capable of DTS Connect as well is it not?.. Try using that instead. Bitrate of 1.5mpbs rather than DDLs maximum of 640 kbit/s.

When using DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live I always find I can get more rumble out of going the digital route (I actually use a coax cable, but it's the same thing anyway. One deals with light, the other deals with electric) so if I'm playing a game and want to piss the neighbours off, I go digital. When going via analogue, it's not got quite as much rumble, but its noticably sharper. So when I'm composing or whatever, I'll go analogue. Use both.

I like going the analogue route as I was under the impression that the DACs etc in the Z5500 wouldn't be half as good as the kit in the Xonar.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
I have to use Coax or Optical because of my sound card. But when I had my Prelude, DTS seemed to give me the best results.

Now I have to use Optical and have DDL with Pro Logic II and it sounds far better. I cant use analogue really because this sound card doesn't use mini jacks and only has 1/4 jacks and RCA out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.