Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

I have a Karman Hardon Harman Kardon 5+1 Home Theater system and just got myself a Creative Zx soundcard.

Just wondering if you guys prefer Dolby or DTS while gaming? Such as Battlefield 3.

Also what is the difference?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DTS is generally better than Dolby, this is certainly true for movies.

*Harman Kardon. Not sure if your spelling violates the TOS!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Hey folks.
I have a Karman Hardon 5+1 Home Theater system and just got myself a Creative Zx soundcard.
Just wondering if you guys prefer Dolby or DTS while gaming? Such as Battlefield 3.
Also what is the difference?
How do you have you computer audio connected to the HK 5.1 system?
Have you tried connecting the graphics card's HDMI output to the HDMI input on the HK?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
DTS vs Dolby has been a big debate over the years.
Many say DTS is better, but personally... I've always came to a conclusion that it's a matter of preference.

With that said, there are movies which I prefer in DTS and movies absolutely only like with Dolby.

For games... not many has DTS support, so it's kinda moot right now. Maybe in a year when the next-gen consoles are truly a upon us where developers will offer both DTS and Dolby in games.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post

Many say DTS is better, but personally... I've always came to a conclusion that it's a matter of preference.

With that said, there are movies which I prefer in DTS and movies absolutely only like with Dolby.

For games... not many has DTS support, so it's kinda moot right now. Maybe in a year when the next-gen consoles are truly a upon us where developers will offer both DTS and Dolby in games.
Dolby Digital was only capable of 640kb/sec, DTS core was capable of 1.5mb/sec, that's why people claimed DTS was better.

Of course now if you can get DTS HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD, they are basically identical.

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

How do you have you computer audio connected to the HK 5.1 system?
Have you tried connecting the graphics card's HDMI output to the HDMI input on the HK?
I just connected the optical cable from the system to the Sound Card and choose Dolby or DTS encoding via the software.

I didnt do the HDMI method. I think optical is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgti View Post

I wish I had a Karman Hardon, haha.
hahahaha... Yeah Karman Hardon is the aftermarket of the Harman Kardon though be careful :)

Joking aside I will edit the mistake ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_LiG View Post

DTS is generally better than Dolby, this is certainly true for movies.

*Harman Kardon. Not sure if your spelling violates the TOS!
tongue.gif
Yeah I will change it to Harman Kardon. Epic fail in my way :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post

Honestly connecting my computer to the 5+1 harman kardon system was just plain epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post

Dolby Digital was only capable of 640kb/sec, DTS core was capable of 1.5mb/sec, that's why people claimed DTS was better.

Of course now if you can get DTS HD MA, or Dolby TrueHD, they are basically identical.
Good info thanks.

+rep all/.

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One last question.

The only way to take advantage of Dolby or DTS is via a home system right? Like my Harman Kardon 5+1?

Connecting the PC to a headphone will not give that quality I suppose.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Quote:

One last question.

The only way to take advantage of Dolby or DTS is via a home system right? Like my Harman Kardon 5+1?

You still get it through headphones depending on your onboard sound/soundcard. The soundcard will do the decoding instead of LPCMing (linear pulse code modulation) the signal to your receiver for your receiver to decode.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:

One last question.

Plugging headphones into the SB-Zx sound card will provide some great audio quality to the headphones
smile.gif

For the PC to HK connection.
S/PDIF (optical& coaxial) can carry 6-channels (5.1) of compressed 24-bit/48Khz digital audio.
HDMI can carry 8 channels (7.1) of PCM (uncompressed) 24-bit/192Khz of digital audio
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post

You still get it through headphones depending on your onboard sound/soundcard. The soundcard will do the decoding instead of LPCMing (linear pulse code modulation) the signal to your receiver for your receiver to decode.
Ah good. So I still get Dolby. I will try this later on. +rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

Plugging headphones into the SB-Zx sound card will provide some great audio quality to the headphones
smile.gif

For the PC to HK connection.
S/PDIF (optical& coaxial) can carry 6-channels (5.1) of compressed 24-bit/48Khz digital audio.
HDMI can carry 8 channels (7.1) of PCM (uncompressed) 24-bit/192Khz of digital audio
smile.gif
Man SBZx is such an improvement over my previous Xfi Titanium. The difference is realyl there. It is amazing.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
I prefer DTS for film, but for gaming I like Dolby. The reason being that Dolby seems to give you a lot more emphasis on surround channels, while DTS is more positionally accurate. That's just my opinion, though.

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO I am back in my room. Wife kicked me out of the living room where the home theater system is.

I wanted to get a good 5+1 for my room where my PC is and I hit the wife barrier once again.

So at this point DTS or Dolby is irrevelant for me.

Back to gaming on headphones
mad.gif

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:

SO I am back in my room. Wife kicked me out of the living room where the home theater system is.

I wanted to get a good 5+1 for my room where my PC is and I hit the wife barrier once again.

So at this point DTS or Dolby is irrevelant for me.

Back to gaming on headphones
mad.gif
what headphones do you have?

I prefer gaming headphones to speaker system anyway?

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

what headphones do you have?

I prefer gaming headphones to speaker system anyway?
I have 2

Akg Ghs

and

Asus Vulcan.

Both are headsets. I will aim for a headphone next time as my sound blaster Zx have a mic built in which is great.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:

I have 2

Akg Ghs
and
Asus Vulcan.

Both are headsets. I will aim for a headphone next time as my sound blaster Zx have a mic built in which is great.
I would recommend that you pickup a headset that is 7.1 and compatible with your soundcard. Which means that it doesnt use a usb. I use turtle beach PX5 with optical cable and the surround sound is amazing. I can hear when people drop a magazine to reload and footsteps very clear. It has made my multiplayer gaming much more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

I would recommend that you pickup a headset that is 7.1 and compatible with your soundcard. Which means that it doesnt use a usb. I use turtle beach PX5 with optical cable and the surround sound is amazing. I can hear when people drop a magazine to reload and footsteps very clear. It has made my multiplayer gaming much more enjoyable.
I thing the sound blaster Z series only support 5.1 though.

I have the Zx so it is the same thing. I am not sure if 7.1 will work with me.

Anyway, I am selling the VUlcan now and will grab a great headphone in the summer for sure. I will pay premium money this time.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:

Anyway, I am selling the VUlcan now and will grab a great headphone in the summer for sure. I will pay premium money this time.
If a headset does 7.1 then it will do 5.1. Just stay away from the USB gaming headsets because they are not going to use your soundcard.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Quote:

If a headset does 7.1 then it will do 5.1. Just stay away from the USB gaming headsets because they are not going to use your soundcard.
And if you care about sound quality stay away from the 5.1/7.1 headsets that have separate drivers for the different channels.

Do lots and lots of reading and asking questions here and here.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:

Try posting headphone questions on the website Head-Fi, where all the headphone fanatics hangout.
The SB-Zx should be able to drive just about any headphone you get.
The Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm is a good all around (music, games, movies) headphone.
But it's not cheap.
Head-Fi has a "Headphones for Sale" thread, also eBay sometimes has a good price for used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts