Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Antec PSU is only semi-modular. It has PCIE cables I will not be using. Rather than let the cables go to waste tucked away while my Molex cables do all the work, I decided to make an adapter. I started with a PCIE extension cable:

I needed a Molex plug to power my PWM splitter, and two 3-pin male sockets to power my top intake fans. Providentially, the PCIE plug provides three pairs of 12v/ground. So I ordered the extension, got it, cut it up, spliced it, soldered it, sleeved it and voila:

Tested it. It works! It all stays behind the MB, and there is one less unused cable I have to tuck away.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by steven937595
View Post

lol bit overkill for fan headers? could probably split them at the end of each, so you have room for more

Perhaps. But I will be testing my D14 with three of these. The product data sheet says each one pulls 0.9 Amps. I really don't want to stress that header with 2.7 Amps. There are other headers on the MB, but they are all spoken for, and none of them would allow for simultaneous speed control, synchronized with the cpu fan. So this PWM approach is the way to go.

Besides, when is anything overkill for overclockers?

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502
View Post

Would it be possible to do it the other way around? Molex to PCI-E power cable? Will it carry the same amps as a regular PCI-E cable?

Just wondering because I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5850

Yes, that would work, and your PSU would just about get away with a 5850 on it, depedant on how many Amps your 12v rail can pull.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains
View Post

yes but it requires 2 molexes to 1 PCI-E

This, they can be bought, many come bundled with new cards.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

Would it be possible to do it the other way around? Molex to PCI-E power cable? Will it carry the same amps as a regular PCI-E cable?

Just wondering because I'm thinking of upgrading to a 5850

I've seen such cables for sale.

I bought two different Molex-to-P8 cables: a twin-Molex-to-P8 and a P4+Molex-to-P8. I have an Antex EA-380 on my first build (it came with the case). The E-380 has a P4 plug, but my MB has a P8 socket. It works fine, but I wanted to give it the full P8.

Unfortunately, the twin-Molex-to-P8 allowed an even larger Vdroop than the original P4. I haven't tried the P4+Molex-to-P8 yet.

Bottom line: the twin-Molex-to-PCIE should work fine. Look for it at SVC and Performance PC's.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

View Post

I have 20A coming from my 12V rail. Would it be better just to upgrade the PSU along with the 5850?

EDIT:Oh and sorry if I have hijacked the thread =/

http://www.antec.outervision.com/index.jsp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts