Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just wanted to share this little scratch build case that I made with a little Dota 2 theme on it. This concept was born from my passion on Dota and Dota 2. I have been playing that awesome game for 6-7 years now so I decided to make myself a trophy for being an avid fan and hardcore player of the game. Still not 100% complete since I was planning on making a pedestal stand for it tomorrow and make some custom sleeved cables for the power supply. The materials that I have used for this scratch build were mainly wood. Pine wood. The system inside of it is an "APU" type build since I will only be using this as an HTPC with a little bit of Dota 2 gaming. Here are the specs:

AMD A10-7850k
Gigabyte F2A88XN WiFi
Kingston HyperX PnP 8gb 1866mhz
Silverstone SFX 450w modular power supply
a modded Corsair H80i
2 Cooler Master JetFlo 120m Blue LED fans
230mm BitFenix Spectre fan
Modded Scythe Slip Stream 120mm 2000 RPM fan
256Gb ADATA XPG SX900 SSD
Bitspower Fan Hub Blue
For the graphics card, I might add that if I have to but for this kind of build, I guess the A10-7850k will do the job with Dota 2 gaming and some HD video playback.

This was the concept that I came up with. The "LD" name on the picture is actually me and my wife's initials. I am not related to the "LD" game caster. although I enjoy watching some tourneys while he is doing the casting.

Glow Test of the acrylic sheet.

After I made the logo, I started to make the case. The case is just basically a 10x10x10 inch inside wall to wall case.

After doing the first base spray paint, I tested out what it will look like in the dark and how much glow will it produce.
And it was too bright...

After a few weeks of waiting, I was finally able to order some pc components that I needed first to make the mounting holes and measure if all of the components that I want to use will actually fit inside the case.

Test fitting the power supply.

Testing the fans to see if there will be enough airflow inside the case. Those CM JetFlo fans were amazing.

This will be my motherboard tray. The stand offs actually came from a H100i that I am not using anymore since I dove in to custom water cooling,

And thankfully I was able to manage to make a hole for the motherboard I/O shield and for the power supply.

Here is the modded H80i that I used. The modded part is actually just the cover of the CPU/Pump block.

After that, I proceeded to test fit all the components that will go inside the case. It was a VERY TIGHT situation inside the case. Good thing I was able to mount the 120mm radiator without interfering with the front panel.

The PSU is actually hiding underneath the motherboard tray. Good thing I chose to use SFX type.

I had some troubles placing the CPU block of the H80i. I had some issues with the cpu tubing connectors hitting the RAM so I needed to turn the block by 180 degrees but by doing that, It kinda produced some stress on the tubing but some how I managed to get thing work!

So after doing all the test fits, I disassembled the case again for final sanding and painting. Last week was a long weekend here. I had 4 full days to mod but it was raining hard with strong winds for 3 straight days. So instead of sitting in my ass, I decided to make my ghetto spray booth.

Thanks to the Pampers box I was able to finish sanding and painting all the pieces of the case within one day!

The pieces are all dried up, boxed and ready to re-assemble again!

And finally, after some bloody and careful assembly, I got the system up and running without any problems!

Again, I still need to make a pedestal for it and some custom sleeving. But other else than that, my DotaBox Scratch Build PC Case is done! I will post some pictures of the finished product as soon as I completed it!
thumb.gif

Thank you for taking the time to take a peek in this small project of mine! See you guys in the next update!

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma16 View Post

Hey guys! I just wanted to share this little scratch build case that I made with a little Dota 2 theme on it. This concept was born from my passion on Dota and Dota 2. I have been playing that awesome game for 6-7 years now so I decided to make myself a trophy for being an avid fan and hardcore player of the game. Still not 100% complete since I was planning on making a pedestal stand for it tomorrow and make some custom sleeved cables for the power supply. The materials that I have used for this scratch build were mainly wood. Pine wood. The system inside of it is an "APU" type build since I will only be using this as an HTPC with a little bit of Dota 2 gaming. Here are the specs:
AMD A10-7850k
Gigabyte F2A88XN WiFi
Kingston HyperX PnP 8gb 1866mhz
Silverstone SFX 450w modular power supply
a modded Corsair H80i
2 Cooler Master JetFlo 120m Blue LED fans
230mm BitFenix Spectre fan
Modded Scythe Slip Stream 120mm 2000 RPM fan
256Gb ADATA XPG SX900 SSD
Bitspower Fan Hub Blue
For the graphics card, I might add that if I have to but for this kind of build, I guess the A10-7850k will do the job with Dota 2 gaming and some HD video playback.

This was the concept that I came up with. The "LD" name on the picture is actually me and my wife's initials. I am not related to the "LD" game caster. although I enjoy watching some tourneys while he is doing the casting.

Glow Test of the acrylic sheet.

After I made the logo, I started to make the case. The case is just basically a 10x10x10 inch inside wall to wall case.

After doing the first base spray paint, I tested out what it will look like in the dark and how much glow will it produce.
And it was too bright...

After a few weeks of waiting, I was finally able to order some pc components that I needed first to make the mounting holes and measure if all of the components that I want to use will actually fit inside the case.

Test fitting the power supply.

Testing the fans to see if there will be enough airflow inside the case. Those CM JetFlo fans were amazing.

This will be my motherboard tray. The stand offs actually came from a H100i that I am not using anymore since I dove in to custom water cooling,

And thankfully I was able to manage to make a hole for the motherboard I/O shield and for the power supply.

Here is the modded H80i that I used. The modded part is actually just the cover of the CPU/Pump block.

After that, I proceeded to test fit all the components that will go inside the case. It was a VERY TIGHT situation inside the case. Good thing I was able to mount the 120mm radiator without interfering with the front panel.

The PSU is actually hiding underneath the motherboard tray. Good thing I chose to use SFX type.

I had some troubles placing the CPU block of the H80i. I had some issues with the cpu tubing connectors hitting the RAM so I needed to turn the block by 180 degrees but by doing that, It kinda produced some stress on the tubing but some how I managed to get thing work!

So after doing all the test fits, I disassembled the case again for final sanding and painting. Last week was a long weekend here. I had 4 full days to mod but it was raining hard with strong winds for 3 straight days. So instead of sitting in my ass, I decided to make my ghetto spray booth.

Thanks to the Pampers box I was able to finish sanding and painting all the pieces of the case within one day!

The pieces are all dried up, boxed and ready to re-assemble again!

And finally, after some bloody and careful assembly, I got the system up and running without any problems!

Again, I still need to make a pedestal for it and some custom sleeving. But other else than that, my DotaBox Scratch Build PC Case is done! I will post some pictures of the finished product as soon as I completed it!
thumb.gif

Thank you for taking the time to take a peek in this small project of mine! See you guys in the next update!
GG WP ... EZ WIN WZ RARES

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise170 View Post

Not a fan of DOTA, but I still love the case. Great job.
thumb.gif
Ow Gawd! That avatar! Legend of Dragoon! One of the most classic games I have ever played! Although I wasn't able to finish it, but sill!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadz View Post

Yes, same here as a big fan of DOTA as well I really like this.
Thank you! This was actually shared on some facebook pages a while ago, a friend of mine shared this to Wykrhm Reddy and it got A LOT of feed back.

KitGuru page
https://www.facebook.com/162236020510911/photos/a.418538034880707.96975.162236020510911/689513961116445/?type=1&theater

Dota 2 Internationals FaceBook page
https://www.facebook.com/D2TheInternational/photos/a.345119395587355.75541.345115492254412/604597276306231/?type=1

Dota Talk
https://www.facebook.com/dotatalk/photos/a.360241194031324.84654.302582989797145/686013961454044/?type=1

Wykrhm Reddy page
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=739229406119667&set=a.255722787803667.65439.142830382426242&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_reply

Reddit site
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/27trvc/dota_box_custom_pc_case_by_jnthn_grit/

Someone actually sent me a private message saying that try to show this to Valve and they might make this as a Dota 2 themed Steam machine. That would be cool! Or make this as a prize for each players that will be able to climb up as the TI4 Champions! It was a great idea but I doubt it will happen.
smile.gif

·
Unix Evangelist
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma16 View Post

Ow Gawd! That avatar! Legend of Dragoon! One of the most classic games I have ever played! Although I wasn't able to finish it, but sill!
Had an excellent ending, probably my favorite - though that could be the nostalgia talking.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkLord100 View Post

I'm jelly now lol, I wanna build something out of the box
Man, please do and please share it with us too! This is my first ever pc cse scratch build and making it was not that hard except for measuring the places of where the screwholes will go. Measuring was the hardest part for me..
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

I'm not really a DOTA fan but this build is awesome! Good work
thumb.gif
Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeans69 View Post

Already saw your post on PD a while ago nice build log
tongue.gif
Thank you! Nut may I ask, what does PD stand for?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a few more updates. Just started to make the Pedestal for it. I then used a turn table for the base. The pedestal still needs to do some more polishing work. Was thinking of putting some blue or green lights on the base so it will illuminate the box and give it the "Floating" effect. But that's going to be hard for someone like me.. XD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts