Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEEY FORUMS!

I was wondering whats the difference betweeen down firing subs and side/front firing subs....

Im not realy a audiophile , I just like realy loud bass and the house and walls shaking

Sooo whats the difference... For me it would be as easy as buying 4 rubber feet (bout a 1" high) and facing the sub downwards...

So what yous rekon ?

+REP

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Depends on the rooms acoustics, and how solid the walls and floor are. If you have a cement floor under carpet or wood, i would use a downfiring sub. If on a raised house, i would use front/side firing. But this is just a general rule of thumb, not science. Every room/environment is different. Best thing to do is just try it, and see how it sounds.... Also try different placement in the room, and see how the sound changes from different locations of the sub. And be sure to judge the sound based on where you will be sitting in the room...

Also, if the box has a port, try spinning the port to face different parts of the room. This can yield some improvement as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1 View Post
Depends on the rooms acoustics, and how solid the walls and floor are. If you have a cement floor under carpet or wood, i would use a downfiring sub. If on a raised house, i would use front/side firing. But this is just a general rule of thumb, not science. Every room/environment is different. Best thing to do is just try it, and see how it sounds.... Also try different placement in the room, and see how the sound changes from different locations of the sub. And be sure to judge the sound based on where you will be sitting in the room...

Also, if the box has a port, try spinning the port to face different parts of the room. This can yield some improvement as well.
My house is on concrete... and my floor is timber floors then concrete

Did a quick paint drawing thingy of my room... So theres not much options I have to where I can put the sub

Cheers +REP

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TARRCO View Post
AKA BAAASSSS
hahah why not ?

The one that gives you that WOW Factor

I get pissed when stuff rattles but it only rarely does on some crappy songs

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Ive gone downfiring and never went back. To hear the tight crisp bass is one thing. But to feel in movies makes it so worthwhile.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti View Post
Ive gone downfiring and never went back. To hear the tight crisp bass is one thing. But to feel in movies makes it so worthwhile.
yeahh finnaly someone understands what I was saying...

But yeah , Did your sub come downfiring stock or did you make it downfiring ? and where in the room is it placed ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Well mine is rear ported, so a good 2foot of clearance from either wall really makes it shine. I have the port facing the wall right behind me.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Klipsch KSW 12, and negate the reviews about poor for music. When you find the right location for the sub, it pounds for music, and with a few adjustments rumbles for movies.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti
View Post

Klipsch KSW 12, and negate the reviews about poor for music. When you find the right location for the sub, it pounds for music, and with a few adjustments rumbles for movies.

woaahhhh thats a nice suuub haha , The only subs I have is a random 8.5" in a custom box I made and theres 2 8" subs in each tall standing speaker.. and the logitech z-2300 so thats like 6 8" subs all together hahahah

I should just get a 12" sub and replace them alll

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TARRCO
View Post

woaahhhh thats a nice suuub haha , The only subs I have is a random 8.5" in a custom box I made and theres 2 8" subs in each tall standing speaker.. and the logitech z-2300 so thats like 6 8" subs all together hahahah

I should just get a 12" sub and replace them alll

Hmm. A nice large front firing sealed sub would do nicely

Depending on the desk and type of sub you have (ported or sealed) I'd probably try front firing in your setup. TBH just experiment around until you find something that works well (within reason...Please don't shove the driver or port up against a wall or anything
).

The only thing to worry about is if your desk is too closed in you can get standing waves under the desk which will give it a really boomy sound (read: slow, one-note, *insert audiophile nightmare verbs*). From the drawing it looks like your desk is pretty big though.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TARRCO
View Post

Whats your speaker systemmm ?

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V461 100WRMS per channel 5.1
Sub1: Sony SA-W10G
Sub2: LG 120wrms from some HTIB package
Centre: 2 kenwood 50wrms from an old Stereo setup + some LG wide range 50wrms from some HTIB
Left: LG wide range 50wrms from some HTIB
Right: LG wide range 50wrms from some HTIB
Rears: Homemade speaker boxes 4 way with 12 inch Woofers (NOT SUBS) + mid range + 2 tweeters, 90WRMS each.

I bought the receiver the 2 12 inch woofers and the rest I have acquired from family. BTW im 14.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagurtoast
View Post

Centre: 2 kenwood 50wrms from an old Stereo setup + some LG wide range 50wrms from some HTIB
Rears: Homemade speaker boxes 4 way with 12 inch Woofers (NOT SUBS) + mid range + 2 tweeters, 90WRMS each.

I bought the receiver the 2 12 inch woofers and the rest I have acquired from family. BTW im 14.

lol thats a nice setup you got there
Im 16 but Im very limited by my parents... What do your parents say ?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by drjoey1500
View Post

Hmm. A nice large front firing sealed sub would do nicely

Depending on the desk and type of sub you have (ported or sealed) I'd probably try front firing in your setup. TBH just experiment around until you find something that works well (within reason...Please don't shove the driver or port up against a wall or anything
).

The only thing to worry about is if your desk is too closed in you can get standing waves under the desk which will give it a really boomy sound (read: slow, one-note, *insert audiophile nightmare verbs*). From the drawing it looks like your desk is pretty big though.

nahh all my subs have a bass port..but yeah the desk is pretty massive.. But in my room if Im standing in the bottom left hand corner , there is so much bass there , like its amazing how much there is ,but then I go back to my chair and theres atleast half the bass I get over tehre haha :S So its realy anoyying.. Its realy a hit or miss

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagurtoast
View Post

4way rears? Thats a pretty complex crossover. Ive done a couple reference designed 2-way crossovers for a few MTM's, and that was bad enough, cant imagine all the work that went into it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts