Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 98 system w/ 700mhz processor and 128meg ram. i recently put Xp Pro on it and have striped it down to the essentials and it is still very slow. i have a w2k installation cd that i'd like to install. for some reason my bios isn't seeing the disk (yes, the cd drive is first in boot list and yes, the drive is bootable). when i try to install the disk in xp it won't let me do it. is there anyway of getting around this? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
You'll need to backup your documents onto something. Then you'll need to reinstall windows 98, and then you should be able to install 2000. Or, if you really want XP, stick another stick of 256MB RAM in there and it should last you a little longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't have the 98 disk. can't i open the installer file or something like that in command prompt or somthing? i would actually like to keep xp and i have a partition here ready for 2000. and i don't have any money to buy any upgrades.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
If you formatted using NTFS file system you can't reinstall 98 (98 only runs on fat32 to the best of my knowledge)

You'll have to go to windows 2000, I don't think ME works on NTFS either.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by glowpowered

i don't have the 98 disk. can't i open the installer file or something like that in command prompt or somthing? i would actually like to keep xp and i have a partition here ready for 2000. and i don't have any money to buy any upgrades.

A Boot Disk from your Win98 installation with get you into setup from there if you format/fdisk you can use you W2K Disk etc for a clean install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts