Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laptop that I no longer have the restore CD's for and it has a COA for Windows Home on the bottom of it.

I know there are places to download Windows 7 (digitalrivercontent.net) which is legal, you just have to provide your own key. Is there any sites like this that still offer Windows Vista?

Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just torrent the .iso file because you have the licence and that torrenting things like that are only illegal when you do not have your own key and license.

Edit: apparently not, i'm sure microsoft would provide the disc files.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankrizzo View Post

why would you want vista? it is the worst operating system windows has ever made and requires more ram then any other. You can also get windows 7 thin for free 90 day trial but there are ways around that. I use it on my Toshiba satellite and it works great.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/virtualization/thinpc.aspx
Vista SP2 and updated is closer to Windows 7 than you might think. Vista was/is fine. One of the major reasons so many people disliked Vista was because they purchased Vista-loaded PC's with really poopy-and-doopy specs, like 1GB RAM, 1.6Ghz processors, etc etc.

Windows 7 at it's core is Vista. Don't forget that.

@OP

If you decide to torrent it, just be sure its a clean version.
thumb.gif

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:

There is just no point to install it when there is windows 7
If you don't have a license for 7 and don't want to pirate. Perfectly reasonable to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: sliftw1

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalrip View Post

I'm pretty sure you can just torrent the .iso file because you have the licence and that torrenting things like that are only illegal when you do not have your own key and license.
Edit: apparently not, i'm sure microsoft would provide the disc files.
Torrent's worry me as they all seems to be "optimized" in one way or another. Honestly I'm looking to just get Vista back on the laptop so I can sell the laptop. I'd be worried about using a Torrent image and as someone already said, those aren't legal.
frown.gif

Quote:

why would you want vista? it is the worst operating system windows has ever made and requires more ram then any other. You can also get windows 7 thin for free 90 day trial but there are ways around that. I use it on my Toshiba satellite and it works great.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/virtualization/thinpc.aspx
I'd be more than willing to put Windows 7 on the laptop, right when you're willing to purchase it for me...
Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'm downloading it now to give it a shot. I know some Dell restore CD's are setup to only work on Dell hardware hopefully this won't be the same.
wink.gif

·
Registered
851 Posts
That windows7 thin has a 90 day trial. But that wouldn't be ideal if you were going to sell it. I know they were selling office 2010 for 9 buckss windows xp couldn't be much more.

http://maddisondesigns.com/2009/07/13-reasons-why-vista-is-crap/

there are tons of other reviews on how bad vista is. But if your gonna sell it that doesn't really matter unless there are no buyers for a laptop with vista on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

That windows7 thin has a 90 day trial. But that wouldn't be ideal if you were going to sell it. I know they were selling office 2010 for 9 buckss windows xp couldn't be much more.
http://maddisondesigns.com/2009/07/13-reasons-why-vista-is-crap/
there are tons of other reviews on how bad vista is. But if your gonna sell it that doesn't really matter unless there are no buyers for a laptop with vista on it.
Please start your own thread debating the pro's and con's of Vista vs XP/7/whatever. Thanks.
rolleyessmileyanim.gif

Back on topic...

I'll know tonight if the link on Dells site worked or not. I'll let everyone know.

·
PC Gamer
3,899 Posts
Quote:

There is just no point to install it when there is windows 7
I'm pretty sure OP just wants an operating system that won't cost anything and at the same time be legal.

Sure, Ubuntu could work, but windows is somewhat more user-friendly I guess.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:

why would you want vista? it is the worst operating system windows has ever made
Clearly someone wasn't around for the disaster that was Windows ME. Compared to that gem, even pre-SP2 Vista is a dream to operate. OS2 might also deserve a tip of the hat in that category as well, but I doubt many of the yoof have ever even heard of that one
wink.gif

Sorry, had to get that out there. If you are looking to use an OEM key, keep in mind that you will need an ISO that contains the correct vendor ID to work with your key. That may make it that much harder to find the vanilla OEM key if that is indeed what you used in the first place. I have had mixed success using branded OEM disks with vanilla keys and vice-versa. This was not an issue with XP, but with Vista M$ really stepped up their "anti-piracy" efforts. I have actually called M$ before and requested media once, but that was for a volume license key so I have no idea if they would do something similar for consumers. There was a nominal charge if I recall, it was like $15 or something. You might also try sending M$ a support request email and see how that goes. They DO have ISOs to download, but you'll have to catch them on a good day to get access.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts