Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering going Micro ATX for my next build. I don't really need the extra room, and I'd prefer a smaller case. Is there any implicit downsides to using a mATX board, other than fewer expansion slots? It's my understanding that the primary difference of mATX (aside from expansions) is the form factor. Is there any performance degradation inherent in mATX boards vs. a comparable standard ATX motherboard?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
what platform? before the only issue i have ever seen with matx boards is usually the lack of vrm's and or cooling on the boards, but now every company is essentially in a race and most decent matx boards have more then enough so now it's non issue.
Another drawback to going matx this is manly an issue due to size of the case, room to work with and heat.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
less room for heat to move around in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess Sandy Bridge is the most applicable, but I'd like to go mATX when Ivy Bridge drops next year. That's the current plan, anyway

And yeah, this'll definitely be a "gaming" computer (with a single GPU setup), but I'll try to minimize HDD size restrictions by using a single SSD and removing the HD cage entirely. I'll try to buy an effective and appropriate case as well.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Not big enough to slap your wife with.

OT: It has pretty much everything that a normal board has, it just has less PCI lanes.

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
A few years ago maybe, but now they are some very nice 1155 mATX Boards. Especially the Asus Gene Z.

Usually the mATX 1155 boards are 4+1 Phase but find one with them Heatsinked like the Asus P8P67MPRO, or pay a bit more and get a Gene Z which is Sinked 8+1 Phase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
mATX boards often have less power phases on the CPU and therefore do not have the same abilities to do an OC. I'm not saying that they will not or can not OC, just that it isn't as good.

More obviously they have less PCI lanes and often less USB ports.

The reason motherboard manufacturers produce so many models is that there are lots of different 'ideal' combinations of components that people might want. You should consider the subtle differences between boards very carefully to be sure you buy exactly what you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts