Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks,

My loop will be running for a year now .... very good from day one, awesome temperature.

Current Loop: primochill advanced LRT clear Soft tubing and Mayhem pastel green

Will be upgrading the loop adding things, so here are some questions need help in:

1- Do i need to open the blocks apart and clean them from inside, or the flushing is enough?

2- Is it a good idea to flush with (Vinegar + Dis.) or it is not a big deal?

3- Loop will still contain soft tube in addition to hard tube, so, is it a bad idea to re-use the used soft tubes (just cut the edges and plug) or get new soft tubes?

4- Re-Apply thermal paste and new pads (for GPU) or the current ones will do just fine?

Peace

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
IF a year old, you might just as well take the blocks apart... if only to verify they are still clear... if they are, you know you have done something right and then opening them was a waste of time ..... if they are not clear.. then you have to chase up the toothbrush anyways
smile.gif

Of course, if you KNOW them blocks are clear, then running a distilled + vinegar or distilled + citric acid for a few hours could be enough. But, you have to flush with pure distilled afterwards untill it no longer smells of vinegar... and that is going to take a gallon or two
smile.gif

you can re-use soft tubes, if you cut off the fittings ends

if you take the blocks apart, you most likely take them off the CPU/GPU for easy of working anyways.. so new TIM/pads is unavoidable in that case

Wetehr you like it or not, Watercooling is not set & forget... there IS some maintenance involved... the more loops you build with known components, the better you get at judging if it will be a hi or low maintenance system...

Some OCDs break down their loop every 6 months; some of the old-timers can build/run loops which are virtually maintenance free for two years.

But every loop is unique,, because of environment, usage, etc, and you can only learn to judge, by doing.

So, i suggest to break down the loop & blocks, clean it all up, and re-route... if not for peace of mind, then just for the learning experience
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: pc-illiterate

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RnRollie for the feedback.

Well, the only thing in puling the blocks apart, is that i have seen people struggle a lot in putting back the block's O rings, i even read nightmares on that
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
:D

Having a good look for clarity check before putting them apart is a good option ,,,, but we will see what will happen.

Just in case, what might help in fixing the block O ring in place, while closing the block any idea ...... i read people use some material, but do not know what is it. you ever needed it ??

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Yeah those O rings on the GPU block are a bee itch to put back in. What worked for me was putting the O ring in the freezer for 15 minutes, and then literally reassembling the block inside the freezer (so sub-zero temp the entire time).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
+1 fro silicon grease
the freezer trick makes the ring harder/stiffer, so they have less of a tendency to jump all over the place like rubber bands
smile.gif

However, there is a risk to that.. largely to do with the material they are made of... "plain" rubber has a min & max temperature... freeze if for too long and it becomes brittle and falls apart, have it in +50`C too long and it goes too soft, stretches and doesnt return to its original size.

Most of the o-rings used are not plain rubber
smile.gif
, but unless you know for sure what compound/mixture they are made off.. err on the side caution.

And if you really want to be sure.... order replacement rings from the block manufacturer in advance... so, if you manage to break/cut/overstretch one of the rings, then you have a spare handy, and dont have to go to the lib to use a PC to order new o-rings, which are out of stock, and once tehy are back in stock get shipped to the wrong address, in practice leaving you with a broken down system you cant use for 8 weeks
smile.gif

Its a bit like being a home grease monkey- you wouldnt take of the cylinder head of the car engine without having 2 spare gaskets, a set of cylinder & valve springs, a special stand for the crankshaft and access to a machine/service to flatten headcasing
smile.gif

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies ... guys

Wonder, cant fine O Ring for EK GPU blocks any where??? like mine is the 970 , EK does sell the supremacy O ring (CPU).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still running in my loop, and yes i will reuse it .... thanks for the Tip.

Unfortunately EK still out of stock of 420 rad.

peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts