Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have read posts from several people that have mentioned that they use an air compressor, bike pump, or even blowing into the loop to help drain. I am wondering if a few folks who use air compressors to help drain their loops tell me how they do it and what exactly i will need to do that. I have my drain at the bottom and am ok with rotating the case, but given this was my first loop I made some fairly rookie mistakes with bends and radiator placement that I anticipate will make this difficult if not impossible to completely drain. I will be moving in a couple of months so it will be necessary to completely drain.

The biggest mistake I made I think is not anticipating the restrictive nature of the loop itself. I thought that I would be ok with cpu+gpu block and 3 HW labs gts 360s and because of this will be adding a second pump sometime this week, and one of EK's active backplates pending reviews and results. I am planning on placing the pump immediately after the distribution plate as close to the distro's pump as possible (probably fan mounted). there is a photo for reference as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is the nice pc build, is the bykski distro? Thinking maybe depends on loop route but I tried air it was ok. Only 2 rads here so a little differents but what seem work ok for this pc was tilting. Didn't get every last drop out of radiators but thinking maybe I not need to with blitz part 2 and bunch of flushes afterwards. Maybe you could try a little of both. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the nice pc build, is bykski distro? Maybe depends on loop route but I tried air it was ok. What really worked better for this pc was tilting. Didn't get every last drop out of radiators but thinking maybe I not need to with blitz part 2 and bunch of flushes afterwards. :)
no the distro is thermaltake pacific dp-100 d5. I think WORST case scenario I will be able to get at least enough fluid out by tilting, and then just have to be careful. It seems like air would work really well, but I have no experience other than sprinkler systems lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: Happy Trails

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well you'd want to be sure pressure was set very low.
I think I'd want a low pressure gauge that let me set just 5 psi or so. Like the leak testers have. Last time I drained mine I just blew in the tube but my loop was super simple then.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Drain the loop ? Completely dis assemble the entire loop. That's what I would do. How else would you clean it after say 12 months if it was kinked with dust.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,064 Posts
I go the opposite route and use a small shop vac to completely drain my loop. The one I have came with a small attachment that fits perfectly in my soft tubing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I go the opposite route and use a small shop vac to completely drain my loop. The one I have came with a small attachment that fits perfectly in my soft tubing.
What kind of attachment is this? That sounds awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
What kind of attachment is this? That sounds awesome.
I just use my Datavac, it comes with an attachment that fits perfectly into any fitting

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just use my Datavac, it comes with an attachment that fits perfectly into any fitting

LOL i forgot i have one of those ! YUSSSS!

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,410 Posts
Where do you blow the air into?
? Anywhere in the line / loop.

Just make sure you have another port open for the forced air / water to drain. Preferably the “drain” is the furthest location from the “blow” location. So you know air is flowing through the entire loop.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I have one of those too and thought about suggesting it before, but I'm not sure how much static pressure that thing can produce? Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I really don't want to hit my loop with an unknown amount of pressure. The duster I have feels like it produces the same volume/velocity of air that my 130 psi air compressor produces. LOL

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,410 Posts
Don’t over think it. Light bursts. You’ll be fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
? Anywhere in the line / loop.

Just make sure you have another port open for the forced air / water to drain. Preferably the “drain” is the furthest location from the “blow” location. So you know air is flowing through the entire loop.
exactly, I am going to drain it enough so that I can take the first tube off of the distro then blow it into the fitting on the first radiator (or even with soft tubing) making the drain the last position. We will see how it works out!

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tried putting my hand over mine. Must have a bypass as I couldn't feel any pressure and tone changed. Do no issue probably other than potentially making a mess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pop your fill port (highest point) stick your finger in it then open the drain and do what you can. If you use air just be careful because these systems aren't rated for very high pressure. It'd be really easy to blow a seal or something. Then when you re-assemble, correct the mistakes you've done. I see many custom built pc's that are amazing to look at, but draining/maintenance will an absolute nightmare. Kept my own simple for that reason. As an engineer I've built high end versions of "chillers" for prototype automotive dynomometer cells. You may want some cool design with spirals, etc, but trying to drain that later will be a headache.
I've got a bulkhead fitting that connects to the system and I attach a nipple/soft tubing to it to gently blow through air pushing what's left through the system. Just make sure your drain port is as low as you can make it and everything ultimately flows that direction. Also keep in mind that your breath has bacteria, etc. So put a few extra drops of CuSO4 and bio in the new fluids to help kill the tiny amount that you may miss when cleaning.

·
I can count to potato
883 Posts
+1 for the Datavac. I drain as much as possible with just opening the fill and drain ports and tilting the case around. Then hook a fitting with a short piece of soft tube to the fill port and use the Datavac to blow into that and it gets most of the rest of the fluid out pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
+1 for the Datavac. I drain as much as possible with just opening the fill and drain ports and tilting the case around. Then hook a fitting with a short piece of soft tube to the fill port and use the Datavac to blow into that and it gets most of the rest of the fluid out pretty quick.
Lungs are your best option, always works for me, even with a MO-RA and 3 x7970 in the old build just blowing a disconnected hose from the top of the loop always did the trick.

I'd never use the DataVac for this type job, its way too powerful imho, join the DataVac club guys , share the love :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lungs are your best option, always works for me, even with a MO-RA and 3 x7970 in the old build just blowing a disconnected hose from the top of the loop always did the trick.

I'd never use the DataVac for this type job, its way too powerful imho, join the DataVac club guys , share the love :)
Yep, I drained my loop last night and just blew in the tube I removed. Easy to push the water through. 2 rads and gpu/cpu blocks. The DataVac might still be useful for getting everything out possible once you've mostly cleared it though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts