Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I find that the most important factors to consider are to be sure that it's variable speed and what attachments are included. The flex-shaft is very handy and the circle cutter is often useful as well.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiHydrogenMonOxide View Post
An analogue infinitely variable switch will work just as well as a digital, and get the 400 series if you can afford it like has been said before.

BEWARE! The 400 is a good Dremel but it heats up FAST. I just killed mine I think. I ordered some replacement brushes for it but I may have to buy another unit. When it starts to get hot stop and let it cool. It's annoying because it heats up alot and really fast.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacka View Post
Do you think it would be wiser to buy the base model and add bits that I'd need, or go for the deluxe version with every type of attachment available?

I'd guess the former, as I don't have many uses for the tool on an every day basis.
It depends on what you plan to do. For example if you are planning to do a case mod like cut fan holes or a window in your case then the more accessories the better. But if its just for cable management holes and such then just get the base model.
BTW a step drill bit and a decent drill will do a better job for cable management holes IMO -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERCRAFT-3-P...QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Oftentimes the combo packs are less expensive than buying the parts individually; so I'd say decide what accessories you need then if buying a combo that includes several of them is cheaper than the base plus those included accessories then get the combo. I think that the combo with the circle cutter and flex shaft is well worth it.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacka
View Post

Do any Brits know where I might get one cheaply?

Local hardware store?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CattleRustler
View Post

without doubt, 400
if it gets too hot or overheats, its being used improperly

Huh? Cutting a straight line and not putting pressure behind the tool (Letting it do the cutting like it says in the manual) is improper use? Read up. Tons of people have overheating issues with the XPR.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
CR is right, if the Dremels are used continuously for extended periods of time they can easily overheat; but if you take a break at regular intervals and let it cool down a bit it's fine.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
All Dremel models will overheat if you don't give them a break from time to time. This applies to the 200, 300, and 400 models.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts