Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to drill a hole on top of my case for my fill port on my corsair 800d. It is 1 inch and i have some spade bits and i was wondering would those work because i think most people use hole saw for those. The case is made out of Aluminum / Steel. Also i am going to drill a 1/2 inch hole in front of my case for my illuminated toggle switch.

Thx

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Aside the fact that I want to cry to hear of someone altering one of the most amazing cases ever, here is what you need to do:

1) Don't use a spade bit. Go to Lowe's and get a hole saw bit (+/- $3)

2) Move the toggle switch to the back. It's going to be a lot easier and "sleeker" to drill a spot for the switch where the case is at its thinnest.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pching View Post
iam installing the toggle switches on one of the drive bays in the front.
Oh and why doesnt spade bit work?
A spade bit is only for wood. If you tried drilling a hole with a spade bit you would end up with a pretty scratched up case. If you have a harbor freight near you I would get a knock out set sells for about $15. You drill a hole big enough for the bolt, then you screw cutter on one side and the cup on the other side until tight. Then you use a socket driver and it turns the cutter and when it cuts thru you get a perfect circle with little to clean up afterwards. A hole saw which is a little cheaper since you only need to buy one size will also work. If you get a hole saw start on the bottom and cut about halfway through then stop and finish from the top it will give you a cleaner hole.
Do not use a Spade bit!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
the spade bit may work, but they are typically meant to cut wood at a high rpm. Drilling metal requires a low rpm. Its going to jump around on you too.

If you must use the spade bit, find a piece of scrap metal or an old junk computer case, and practice first. I wouldnt want to mess that case up.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonCz View Post
the spade bit may work, but they are typically meant to cut wood at a high rpm. Drilling metal requires a low rpm. Its going to jump around on you too.

If you must use the spade bit, find a piece of scrap metal or an old junk computer case, and practice first. I wouldnt want to mess that case up.

Good Luck.
Why risk it though, if you could pay less than $10 to do it right, do it right.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers View Post
Why risk it though, if you could pay less than $10 to do it right, do it right.
Agreed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Also, unless you have popeye forarms there is no chance you would be able to hold the drill as it cuts through steel with a spade bit.

On point: You could use a step drill bit, but they are generally more expensive than other alternatives (knockout set being the best i think).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pching View Post
okay thx so if use a hole saw what Clutch and speed range should i use??
Just go slow, 500 rpm, and be sure to use cutting oil. Also, are you using a drill press or a hand drill?

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
You can't use a spade bit because it will get stuck, i found out the hard way! Hole saws work well, just go slow and drill a pilot hole first, or it will skid around and mess up the lovely brushed-ness

1 - 14 of 14 Posts