Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 26 28.6%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have seen a ton of petitions online to lower it to 18.

Where do you stand on this?

Personally, I think the drinking age to 18 would somewhat help cut down on underage drinking. One of the main reasons kids drink is because they arn't supposed to. There should just be better education in schools on safe drinking and such.

·
Registered
303 Posts
haha how ironic i was so drunk last night that i couldnt even walk

I doubt lowering the age to 18 will be a solution to underage drinking because when you look at europe were it is 18 there is still a lot underage drinking also if you look at the smoking example you have to be 18 + but still you see 13 year old kids smoking. luckly in cyprus 16 is the limit for drinking but i remeber drinking when i was 13.

Only solution is to not produce it

·
Overclockiit
3,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkdeath
haha how ironic i was so drunk last night that i couldnt even walk

I doubt lowering the age to 18 will be a solution to underage drinking because when you look at europe were it is 18 there is still a lot underage drinking also if you look at the smoking example you have to be 18 + but still you see 13 year old kids smoking. luckly in cyprus 16 is the limit for drinking but i remeber drinking when i was 13.

Only solution is to not produce it
I was feeling pretty peachy myself lastnight but ill be 30 in a couple months

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
here comes an opinion that will probaly get me alot of enemies

personaly... i think we should just put like a 150% tax on alcohol and tobaco...

or just ban it completly... im 18 and have been brought up not to drink or smoke... never have and never will. they are just bad habits that cost u money.

i dont even like to be around people who drink or smoke. i dont approve of it one bit...

id rather see the super tax on it instead of a ban but baning is an option in my eyes... if we did such a large tax on it people would still buy it. but money would be able to be sent to things like homeless people. or disabled people. and for things like fixing roads etc.

i mean whats the current sales on tobaco and alcohol in the usa... probaly billions each year!!! thats billions in tax as well!!!! that would help alot for our government!!!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
They reduced the drinking age to 18 some years ago here in Michigan.
Results...
Multitudes of drunken idiots everywhere, including 1st hour at school!
Most don't have the common sence to maintain control of there alcohol consumption.
DON'T we have enough DRUNK DRIVERS on the roads KILLING people already?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke
They reduced the drinking age to 18 some years ago here in Michigan.
Results...
Multitudes of drunken idiots everywhere, including 1st hour at school!
Most don't have the common sence to maintain control of there alcohol consumption.
DON'T we have enough DRUNK DRIVERS on the roads KILLING people already?
Exactly. Having highschool kids being able to legally drink is not a good thing. Of course, it doesn't seem to slow us down...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That may be true, Duke, but it was most likely just people celebrating the new law. I be that in a month or so, it would change back to normal. Also, public intoxication is no less a crime than underage drinking. Which brings me to my next point - I think they should lower the ban, but drastically increase the penalty on public intoxication.

One thing that has always bothered me is this: At 18 you are old enought to go overseas and die for your country, but your country still won't let you drink alcohal.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
Why not just legalize narcotics too? The way this country is going in terms of values, a lower drinking age will just add to the problem. They ought to raise it, not lower it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You can't legislate morality, Mike. I agree that this country is experiencing moral decay, but anything that will reverse that must come from the people, not the government.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf
That may be true, Duke, but it was most likely just people celebrating the new law. I be that in a month or so, it would change back to normal. Also, public intoxication is no less a crime than underage drinking. Which brings me to my next point - I think they should lower the ban, but drastically increase the penalty on public intoxication.

One thing that has always bothered me is this: At 18 you are old enought to go overseas and die for your country, but your country still won't let you drink alcohal.
Not even close, many that became then drunks then are still drunks now!
Penalty does NOTHING for DRUNKS! I REPEAT NOTHING!
Just reciently and with 3 DWI on the record, a DWI driver splatered a student of mine who spent 6 1/2 months in the hospital!
DRUNKS DONT LEARN, either they quit completely and fight alcoholism the rest of there life or they continue to get DRUNK!

Not to mention the agressive DRUNK that thinks they can kick everyones butt! I recall on who asked for a beating more than once and your truely was put in that position. After knocking him out for the third time he finally backed down. BTW, That is no BS what so ever!

I have nothing against casual drinking, it's the drunks that ruin it!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
i dont drink or smoke but i knwo all of my friends do it evry weekend all weekend and i dont think lowering it to 18 will stop them there just lucky they have me to drive them somewhare if they get to wasted

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
OK, you have a point, Duke. But, you can't let the drunks ruin it for everyone. As the saying goes, "everything in moderation."

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
Don't really care. 18, sure, why not - most people are gunna do it anyway. (Not on the same magnitude, but still.)

Anything lower and it would be way out of control.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I don't think reducing the aget 19 would be a bad idea. Provided the law was enforced, but considering the joke of a legal system we have it's doubtful it would get enforced well.

Take driving with a cell phone. There is a current law in our state which is antiquated and not enforced. You all know it, two hands on the wheel at all times, ie. Open Bottle Law which stipulates you can not perform any task not directly rel;ated to operating a vehicle, no "open bottles" regardless of content, adjusting the radio, etc... some seem silly but that is the law. Yet, our BUNG HOLE Legislators want to make a law just for the Cell Phone people who can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time! Nes lwsa for old laws that arent enforcend, so what makes you think they are going to enforce any worth a darn anyway! They only enforce what is profitable and the percentages are below 15% of those violations that will get caught!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
But Fishie, would anyone who drink now (between the ages of 21 and 30) stop drinking afte the new law took effect?

I still think that right now the government should be getting smaller and less controlling, instead of the other way around.

Edit: I agree, Duke. The government needs to reduce the amount of laws, but also needs to take a very strong stand on those laws that are important.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf

But Fishie, would anyone who drink now (between the ages of 21 and 30) stop drinking afte the new law took effect?

I still think that right now the government should be getting smaller and less controlling, instead of the other way around.

Edit: I agree, Duke. The government needs to reduce the amount of laws, but also needs to take a very strong stand on those laws that are important.

I dunno... I didn't really mean it seriously. Basically my own plan is to never start drinking so I voted don't care since I really don't.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts