Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a dell external DVD drive for a friend. It was advertised as USB 2.0, and stupidly I didn't check the connector, and it turns out to be a weird one (I believe it's called powerusb). Once taken out of the caddy, the DVD drive displays another connector, shown below. Basically, I need to know the names of both connectors, and if there's any adaptors/caddies that I can buy that will enable me to plug this thing in via usb.
Help would be very much appreciated, pics are below, thanks

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, those are both proprietary connectors for Dell equipment only. My Latitude has a USB/eSATA port combo on the side that would accept the one you show in the middle picture. I've been unable to come up with connectors to connect my existing eSATA device from anyone but Dell (I can use two discrete cables - USB and eSATA, however).
..a

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eflyguy
View Post

To the best of my knowledge, those are both proprietary connectors for Dell equipment only. My Latitude has a USB/eSATA port combo on the side that would accept the one you show in the middle picture. I've been unable to come up with connectors to connect my existing eSATA device from anyone but Dell (I can use two discrete cables - USB and eSATA, however).
..a

bugger, thanks for telling me. Does anyone have a solution?

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245564-28-powerusb
?

Doesn't look like yours will fit, however..

Mine is different, by the way. I took a closer look at it (usually has a KVM hanging off it!) and mine is "regular" eSATA port and USB above it. Your plug would not fit it.
..a

1 - 6 of 6 Posts