Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, one of the two drives in my RAID 1 array has failed. Both when I turn on the PC, the Intel RAID screen indicates this, and the Intel Rapid Storage manager also indicates that it has failed.

To fix it, should I replace the hard drive with the exact same model (Western Digital RE3)? How can I easily figure out which of the two drives has actually failed?

Thank Jesus for RAID. I'd be completely screwed if I lost the data.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
It's recommendable for the same reference, but another brand with same size and rpm can work. Check if you hear an unusual sound of one of the two drives

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint19;15260915
It's recommendable for the same reference, but another brand with same size and rpm can work. Check if you hear an unusual sound of one of the two drives
Would I also be able to just unplug one of them, turn on the PC and see if it boots or not? Or would that not work? They both sound fine to me...

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk96t6;15261011
Would I also be able to just unplug one of them, turn on the PC and see if it boots or not? Or would that not work? They both sound fine to me...
That's another option, but you will see another error in the RAID management console.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
RAID1 is the greatest. Now sometimes it does have errors and it will falsley mark the drive as failed, go into the windows in the intel rapid storage thing and mark the drive as normal, and see if it rebuilds back to it.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk96t6
View Post

Apparently, one of the two drives in my RAID 1 array has failed. Both when I turn on the PC, the Intel RAID screen indicates this, and the Intel Rapid Storage manager also indicates that it has failed.

To fix it, should I replace the hard drive with the exact same model (Western Digital RE3)? How can I easily figure out which of the two drives has actually failed?

Thank Jesus for RAID. I'd be completely screwed if I lost the data.

If you click on the failed drive in Intel RST, you can get the serial number of the drive, then open your case and find the drive with the same serial number. Thats oneway to find which drive has failed. I labeled my cables to make this easier.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've got a question. My current drives are 1TB. Would I be able to replace the failed drive with a 2TB drive, let the array rebuild, and then replace the other 1TB drive with a second 2TB drive and rebuild again and gain double the storage space?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk96t6;15338935
Thanks for the replies. I've got a question. My current drives are 1TB. Would I be able to replace the failed drive with a 2TB drive, let the array rebuild, and then replace the other 1TB drive with a second 2TB drive and rebuild again and gain double the storage space?
Personally, if you have the capacity for it......

Buy 2 new 1TB drives the same as the existing ones, create a 10 array.

You get a 2TB stripe to improve performance, 2TB total space, then all of that is mirrored to the other stripe.
You get your 2TB storage, plus better performance. But of course you need the extra sata ports.
If you do this it needs to be from scratch so you need to be able to create a system image ideally and store it on a seperate disk or external device!

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk96t6
View Post

Yeah, but in that case you will have only 1TB array until you buy the other 2TB. After have the two 2TB drives you need extend the array to the available space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts