Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Electric blue

I recently went from a 7820X & ASUS TUF Mark 1 to a 11900K & ASUS TUF Z590.

Carried over Crucial memory, 970 Pro & 3080.

I didn’t reinstall Windows 10 and just moved the drive over.

Seemed to work fine for a couple days. I then started getting random DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screens with display artifacts.

So I reinstalled windows 10 and it started happening DURING WINDOWS UPDATE with ZERO PROGRAMS INSTALLED.

I just realized this started happening AFTER the 3080 was removed and I was using onboard video.

Also, unless something is plugged into the HDMI connector on the motherboard (or even to the 3080 when I had that installed) the TUF Z590 would give a 3 beep error code which is some sort of VGA error and reboot, then works fine. If the HDMI was in, it would work fine….that seems to be a very very very common ASUS thing when I searched for it…

I don’t know what to do. A fresh install of windows and blue screening with a error that apparently is related to video drivers.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
386 Posts
View attachment 2573220

I recently went from a 7820X & ASUS TUF Mark 1 to a 11900K & ASUS TUF Z590.

Carried over Crucial memory, 970 Pro & 3080.

I didn’t reinstall Windows 10 and just moved the drive over.

Seemed to work fine for a couple days. I then started getting random DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screens with display artifacts.

So I reinstalled windows 10 and it started happening DURING WINDOWS UPDATE with ZERO PROGRAMS INSTALLED.

I just realized this started happening AFTER the 3080 was removed and I was using onboard video.

Also, unless something is plugged into the HDMI connector on the motherboard (or even to the 3080 when I had that installed) the TUF Z590 would give a 3 beep error code which is some sort of VGA error and reboot, then works fine. If the HDMI was in, it would work fine….that seems to be a very very very common ASUS thing when I searched for it…

I don’t know what to do. A fresh install of windows and blue screening with a error that apparently is related to video drivers.

Any ideas?
Asus boards indeed often had issues with integrated graphics. I remember things not working quite right since Haswell era. Although your issue seems to be more chip specific.

Try using some sort of dedicated GPU, if that has issues just try using dedicated GPU with onboard graphics enabled ( in this case integrated graphics ).

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Asus boards indeed often had issues with integrated graphics. I remember things not working quite right since Haswell era. Although your issue seems to be more chip specific.

Try using some sort of dedicated GPU, if that has issues just try using dedicated GPU with onboard graphics enabled ( in this case integrated graphics ).
Do you think there’s a hardware issue that needs an exchange? I’m still i my return period.

before I reinstalled, I booted into safe to back things up and I had no issue. (No video driver in safe mode)

Also, there is a intel direct video driver from 08/22 but windows keeps trying to install a driver from 01/21 through windows update…I reinstalled again and the very first thing I did was directly install the 8/22 driver from an exe. When I ram windows update it installed and reverted itself back to the 1/21 driver and got unstable.

very frustrating. If this is a hardware issue I need to be able to return it to not deal with it because there’s no way I’m going to RMA a board or chip I got two weeks ago.

if it is a driver issue, how do I stop windows from ‘ updating’ it’s self back to the old driver? Interestingly enough, when I clicked on optional drivers I do see the new one listed in Windows update but it locks and self up before it gets a chance to install.

New driver I installed -> Old driver Windows update forced -> attempted to install new driver option through Windows update ‘optional update’ -> unstable before it has a chance to install.

Arg!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Do you think there’s a hardware issue that needs an exchange? I’m still i my return period.

before I reinstalled, I booted into safe to back things up and I had no issue. (No video driver in safe mode)

Also, there is a intel direct video driver from 08/22 but windows keeps trying to install a driver from 01/21 through windows update…I reinstalled again and the very first thing I did was directly install the 8/22 driver from an exe. When I ram windows update it installed and reverted itself back to the 1/21 driver and got unstable.

very frustrating. If this is a hardware issue I need to be able to return it to not deal with it because there’s no way I’m going to RMA a board or chip I got two weeks ago.

if it is a driver issue, how do I stop windows from ‘ updating’ it’s self back to the old driver? Interestingly enough, when I clicked on optional drivers I do see the new one listed in Windows update but it locks and self up before it gets a chance to install.

New driver I installed -> Old driver Windows update forced -> attempted to install new driver option through Windows update ‘optional update’ -> unstable before it has a chance to install.

Arg!
I think DDU automatically disables Windows auto driver install. Otherwise just google how to disable Windows driver updates with gpedit.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I sold the 3080 so I have to use iGPU for awhile. Regardless, it should work.
I see.

If there has never been any issue with that hardware in the past, and the only thing that's changed is the CPU and motherboard, I wouldn't doubt the iGPU drivers being hot garbage.
Perhaps you could consider grabbing some cheap $50 GPU to use in the meanwhile?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought this cpu/mobo a week ago. My friend bought the exact same set at the exact same time and I had him remove his GPU and try it. No problems.

My PC beep errors if no HDMI is connected (Using DP). His doesn’t.

My PC freezes with that blue screen randomly, even at idle. His doesn’t.

I’m exchanging it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I exchanged it last night and pulled everything off the motherboard except cpu, power nvme and memory. Still rebooting.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Font Gadget Triangle Technology Display device

I got new 3600 memory and the machine won’t post with XMP enabled. My other memory is 4x sticks of Crucial 16GB 3200 (2X: BL2K16G32C16U4B). I had XMP enabled right away. I know the old memory is good because sit came from my old system and I ran the very lengthy memtest on it before using. Besides, it won’t even post with XMP on this Corsair 3600 memory….

Is it possible there is something screwy with the way this bios is handling XMP that’s messing everything up and because the onboard graphics use system memory it bumps into this issue eventually?

I really don’t want to run at 2133…

I’m so frustrated. I thought going from HEDT to mainstream meant LESS issues like this

·
Registered
845 Posts
Smile Outerwear Helmet Hood Sky

Oh well XMP suxs anyway. Small voltage bumps might be needed from variations of the IMC. Try looking through the guides and enter manual timings with a bump in a couple of different voltages like RAM,VCCIO,VSSA . Don't worry you won't get stuck on 2133 or 3200, you'll get there, and it will teach you how to overclock it better than before..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Azure Font Personal computer Rectangle Computer

Exchanged motherboard & CPU. New memory. No XMP. Nothing plugged into motherboard except cpu, D15, memory, 970 pro and power. Fresh install of Win11 again…This happens while trying to restart during updates.

Honestly, what am I supposed to do. There’s nothing left…

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try a different SSD/NVMe if you have one laying around.
Yeah I have I’ll try tomorrow. This whole thing just sucks.

These problems didn’t start until I took out the GPU. Originally I just carried the old OS over and ran benchmarks, etc on the new system and everything was fine.

My friend has the exact same board and chip. He pulled his GPU to be similar to my situation and had zero issues.

I’m this close to building a NAS and going back to a laptop.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there some way for me to upload or look at a windows log file to see what specifically is actually causing this?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So let me get this straight, you've exchanged the Mobo, CPU, and memory and are having the same problem? Is there any component that isn't new?
Yes. I exchanged the cpu/mobo, tried different memory and have even disconnected EVERYTHING from the board except power, cpu, memory nvme. The ONLY thing left that is carried over is a Samsung 970 Pro and a Corsair HX1000. Both of which work perfectly in my X299 system.

After providing memory dumps on Windows forum they said it was Wireless. I disabled the Wireless in the BIOS and everything seemed fine.

Then I was determined to try and find the cause and so I reenabled the Wireless with the intent to install the driver from Asus. Instant instability. I disabled the Wireless in BIOS again and reinstalled Windows 10 (for probably the 7th time). During updates it got stuck on 'restarting' for a long time and bluescreened AGAIN with the same problem!! This time Wireless is DISABLED!

This is beyond frustrating. I have tried installing drivers ONLY direct from Asus. I have tired installing drivers ONLY direct from Intel. It's all just bogus.

My friend has the exact same board and chip and hasn't had any issues. I had him try the same configuration as me and still everything is fine. So frustrating!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Trying to for an overclock with my CPU I had a few issues getting the onboard LAN and Wireless Communication module back up. Could be an issue with your Corsair HX1000 in the power delivery. Did you try what MrTOOSHORT recommended?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts