Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually install the 'only driver' version of the latest Catalyst, should I install the complete version? I really don't need the CCC, at least I think so.

About the BIOS, I've never had a problem with my card, so should I leave it alone?
Does the card change the fan speed according to temperature or is it better to use MSI AB to control the fan? I don't do overclocking.
My 5770 is the Sapphire v2.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have the exact same card.
With only installing the driver the card just works, but you have no control over clocks or fan.
What I have been seeing people doing is just using the driver and then just using MSI after burner for controlling the clocks, fans and the voltage.

If the card is using the basic driver (just the driver) as far as I'm aware it should be using the auto profile which in turn will regulate the fan speed.

Upgrading/downgrading the bios only serves the purpose of allowing those who have the vanilla cards aka: (you) to access the voltage control, but as it is the V2 uses the same bios as the 5770 vaporX well that's what I found out when I cross referenced the BIOS I have to a data base. But for you it will provide no benefit at all unless you plan to overclock in the future.

But before you try that I would Highly recommend reading up on all the how to's I could find because if you accidentally stuff up you've just bricked your card, and if you manage that and have no other card to run as your display so you can re flash to your old BIOS it means RMA and some vendors don't RMA due to a bad flash from what I have heard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts