Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm very leary of messin with drivers. The reason i have a 6800 is because my diamond viper 9600xt got messed up somehow. I dled a catlyst driver for it and the card stopped working completly. Like i tried all the driver cleaning programs and i even reformatted and install pro from home. The card would not work..If that happened to my 6800 i would [email protected] my pants!!! Does using the 7x.xx drivers improve preformance that much? im not sure iwanna take a risk like that...6800...270$....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
Ok, i'm very leary of messin with drivers. The reason i have a 6800 is because my diamond viper 9600xt got messed up somehow. I dled a catlyst driver for it and the card stopped working completly. Like i tried all the driver cleaning programs and i even reformatted and install pro from home. The card would not work..If that happened to my 6800 i would [email protected] my pants!!! Does using the 7x.xx drivers improve preformance that much? im not sure iwanna take a risk like that...6800...270$....
Drivers will not kill a card unless you're overclocking or using some type of softmod...

from 71.20's and up drivers raised performance of about 300 3dmarks for me on 03 and 05
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forceware would be "ok" to dl and install? Like thats not a softmod??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
Forceware would be "ok" to dl and install? Like thats not a softmod??
There's no softmod, they're stock drivers. No overclocking or anything funky done to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
those drivers will not have the overclocking ability built in, you have to use coolbits to unlock the overclocking ability for those drivers.

but this page has all of the drivers that come with the ability to overclock
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=2

and since you have a 6800 all of those drivers have the temp monitor, and yes guru3d is my main source for driver so it is a good source
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Check out the 71.80's they gave me approximately 100 more marks in 3dmark05 over the 71.20b's and 71.25's.

Viva La 71.80!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That driver like was fed up on my system...Tons of artifacts or ...what ever wierd ass colors n stuff....i didnt even overclock it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR

That driver like was fed up on my system...Tons of artifacts or ...what ever wierd ass colors n stuff....i didnt even overclock it...

Totally understandable, you have the 128mb model right? You might give the Xtreme G drives a shot, they may work silky smooth with your setup.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AHH!!!!!! I RAN 3DMARK05 ON MY COMP TODAY I GOT 2000! 6800!???????????... sigh...i guess im just gunna have to stick with the original drivers cuz these xtreme g ones are pretty good for the first hour i have them then turn to crap the next day....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
i get the best performanceon aquamark 3 with the regular 66.93 nvidia drivers. I've tried the 71.20 but my sacore was about 2000 less with stock speeds
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
AHH!!!!!! I RAN 3DMARK05 ON MY COMP TODAY I GOT 2000! 6800!???????????... sigh...i guess im just gunna have to stick with the original drivers cuz these xtreme g ones are pretty good for the first hour i have them then turn to crap the next day....
That's strange man, looks like you may have your overclock a bit too high, I'd suggest putting your gpu clock frequency to about 375 and try your memory clock at 825.

I know when I push mine too far it will still run but my scores get SHOT DOWN like mad. Give it a shot with no overclocking as well and see what the results turn up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well no ocin is 2600. But to tell youthe truth..inever got the same score twice..or even close..ill run it when i turn my comp on almost 4000 on 05...Ill run it later inthe day and ill get 2000...And just today my comp started to reset itself afterthe third test...the freakin idle is usually 48-52...can load really be that much higher to reset my comp...?..its odd at 420/850..ihave seen the idle as low as 41*c...no watercooling....one little extra 40mm fan next to the card..? I think im going to clean the drivers and go back to the ones on the instalation cd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Well 2600 is bad even for a stock card (no overclocking).

Just for reference, my PNY 6800 stock everything scores consistent 4100+ with 71.20 drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Well 2600 is bad even for a stock card (no overclocking).

Just for reference, my PNY 6800 stock everything scores consistent 4100+ with 71.20 drivers.

His Problem is AGP Limit and CPU Limit. The 6800 can easily out perform the ATI radeon 9800 pro. This card can handle doom 3 rather well. Even though, the GT handles it much better because of its 4 extra pipelines. He should reinstall windows, then install the 71.24a Alpha Xtreme G Drivers. They gave me and my friends a 10 FPS boost on every game. My problem is also a CPU Limit, but thats out of the topic.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
drivers cant kill hardware! (even softmods cant), what can is ocing h/w all drivers will b ok, but may not install correctly as not WHQL cert , jus comtinue installin ne way when asked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
i installed 71.20 drivers and made sure i used drivercleaner before, and stiil got lower than i do with my 66.93 drivers. (~3400 and w/66.93 i get ~3650). I guess it could have to do with a multitude of things. yes i know i am cpu limited w/my 2.6.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hm..i was wonder if i gotta bad card cuz i saw someone with an oc 6600gt on the forum scored higher then me...with a 6800? Could my score be limited a lot by the rest of my system hardware
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top