Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to you OCN.

A friend of mine recently upgraded his GPU to a GTX250 and said that I could keep his old 8800GTS. So of course, I'm trying to install it in my system so that I can fold on it

I've been using Werd's Multi GPU Folding guide to try and set up multi gpu folding but every time open up my 2nd client I get an error message telling me I don't have the correct drivers installed.

Just to clarify things, I do have my GTX285 drivers installed and then I tried installing the 8800GT drivers on top of that but it's still not working. Interestingly, when I open up the 8800GTS tab on GPU-z, it tells me that it is using the same clocks as my GTX285. See the screenie

Some help would me much appreciated.
Cheers,
~Powelly

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
When installing the drivers, do you uninstall them from your computer through control panel and then restart your computer? After you restart it, your at a 640x480 resolution and you just then install your drivers. This often works much better than just installing new drivers with out uninstalling the old ones.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I need to have my primary graphics drivers for my GTX285. Are you suggesting uninstalling ALL of my graphics drivers, then installing the drivers for the GTX285 then installing the drivers for the 8800GTS?

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Yep. Uninstall all Nvidia drivers then restart the computer. It's gonna look funny but once you install the drivers, it will set itself back to normal.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no luck, after I uninstalled the drivers I had 2 windows pop ups asking me to install the drivers for the hardware (this is normal) but I didn't know which one was which so just used the exe's from my computer (first used the GTX285 exe and rebooted then the 8800GTS and rebooted). I think I might have to uninstall them again and guess which 'new found hardware' pop up is for which card.

Seeing as it's pretty late and I'm up early tomorrow, I'm gonna hit the sack and I'll give it another shot when I come home tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright,
So I gave this another try and this time I know I got it right - I located the correct .infs for each GPU in the new found hardware wizard and installed them sucessfully. However, my 8800GTS still shows up in GPU-z as javing the same clock as my GTX285. When I open up my 2nd folding client (shortcutted with the - gpu 1 flag) and it still tells me that there aren't any drivers installed. I installed the 196.21 XP drivers for each card.

Is anyone else able to help shed some light please?

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Normally you only need to install 1 set of drivers because both are nVidia cards.

Worked that way for me. And please don't let windows install any drivers if you can.

I'd say uninstall all nvidia drivers. Reboot into safe mode and run driversweeper to get rid of anything remaining.

Have the drivers you wish to install ready (Download the driver installer from Nvidia's website). Then restart your computer, and don't allow windows to install drivers for your devices. Then run the nvidia installer, and it should take care of everything.

(The drivers I linked to are the newest on Nvidia's website for XP - the WHQL 196.21's)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty, I decided it was time to install Windows 7 (again) and installed the drivers you recommended me (except it was the Windows 7 64-bit version of course) and I'm still having no luck with getting my 2nd card folding.
The 8800GTS in the 2nd PCI-E slot still shows up in GPU-z as having the same clocks as my GTX285 (which is pretty much impossible for such an old card) and the [email protected] client reports that I don't have any drivers installed. So, I've come to the conclusion that a) I'm not installing the 2nd [email protected] client correctly or b) There's still an issue with the drivers.

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Do you have a monitor or dummy plug attached to the second card? You may need to

Other things to check:
  • Try the flag: -forcegpu nvidia_g80 (i might have it wrong here)
  • Dummy Plug or second monitor as mentioned previously. Be sure to extend the desktop to the second card, even if there is just a dummy there.
  • Be sure the second gpu client has the flag -gpu1. Might need to tell the first gpu to be -gpu0

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great info there, mate. I've been using the VGA input on my monitor for my second card but I'm unable to extend the desktop to it - maybe I'll borrow a monitor and try it. I'd love to have this set up in time for the foldathon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts