Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back to comcast for internet access about a year or so ago.

This entire time Ive had unstable internet access that constantly drops connections.

When I came back to comcast they installed new lines all the way to the pole.

Internet connection drops happened frequently so I bypassed all coax cabling and splitters and the line comes in to the junction box and connects to a female union that feeds the line into my house directly to the modem.

Still had issues.

Thought it was my older modem so bought new zoom docsys 3 modem

still had issues.

Wondered if it was a router issue so bought new router

still dropped connections

Moved the modem onto a different line on my house thinking maybe the line was the issue but still dropped connections.

Ive replaced the ethernet cords

Still have issues.

I cant even watch a show on netflix without dropping internet.

When it works-it works fine

But everyday there is multiple connection losses that happen randomly.

Sometimes it reconnects after a few minutes. Other times I have to power cycle, reset, factory restore over and over and over.

Just tonight it went out. Power cycled and reset a dozen times but my modem would not connect. Only one light was lit with the second blinking. It was like this for hours.

When I loose connection I can log onto comcast website and access the "check my connection" page, and it says im connected and everything looks good on comcasts end.

Its just daily frustration and I spend hours of my time a week power cycling and having to mess with it.

Im tired of logging into my modem to check signal levels, ping testing, packet loss testing etc.

I was beggining to think it was my routers wrt54g with tomato firmware that I replaced with a wrt110

but when connection drops I can connect modem directly to computer and sometimes it connects after power cycling.

Sometimes- like tonight it doesnt help as the modem seems not able to connect.

Im just tired of paying $54 a month for service that never works right and is constant frustration.

I feel like I need to go back to school for a degree in IT just to get my internet working.

Is there anything im missing? Anything else I can look for or test for?

My neighbor has never had an internet issue with same service and I get constant interrupts after new coax lines, removal of splitters, directly connected, new modem,new router, new ethernet cords etc etc etc.

Any nudges in the right direction to wake from this nightmare is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the rant but im waisting hours a day of my time dealing with this.

thanks

·
Still kinda lost
3,423 Posts
As i live in a country with the worst internet connection i lived with these problems until i made some changes!

1-Let them Change the wires from the Main-Splitter in your neighborhood to your house (Make sure they are not close to any electric wires specially High Voltage ones).
2-Try to feed your modem directly from the main line and not through internal house routes.
3-Not sure if possible in the USA but once i went to the locality internet central and switch my connection lines to another slot to make sure its not damaged.
4-Check modem/router (You already did).

These are the things i do when ever a friend has a problem like this and 99% of them are solved!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
If you live in Illinois like you say, you should call around and check if a wireless ISP serves your area. there are a lot of them in IL, and sometimes ditching cable is the best way to fix cable.

a quick google pulls this up:
http://www.wispdirectory.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=listcats&cat_id=17

I have not vetted that source, so be aware.

FYI I have a wireless ISP now. I live where cable won't go (too much $$$ to install it), and a T1 was simply not worth keeping for another contract term.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post

[snip]
Call Comcast. Complain. You already did the best place to start troubleshooting, the main line coming into the side of the house. You still have issues there, it's Comcasts responsibility to fix outside wire issues. You shouldn't have to pay a penny if it's not working.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... besides the internet dropping out and/or being snail slow a dozen times a day....it has went out again tonight, i removed the router and with my rig connected directly to the modem... the modem wont even establish a signal.

I think I will call comcast tomorrow.
Is there any kind of packet or ping test that would log issues if i let it run all night? (If i even get the model to connect)
Im just afraid the "tech" will come and run a 2 second signal test and say my lines are fine when there is obviously something wrong.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ping looped google allnight, no errors. Figures.
Ill just do this every night and see what happens.
This was without router hooked up.
Maybe my routers are the issue.
Old wrt54g with tomato firmware
And linksys wrt 110

If my router is suspect can anyone recommend a good stable router?

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post

I ping looped google allnight, no errors. Figures.
Ill just do this every night and see what happens.
This was without router hooked up.
Maybe my routers are the issue.
Old wrt54g with tomato firmware
And linksys wrt 110

If my router is suspect can anyone recommend a good stable router?
What i would to do test your router is try going to CMD then run TRACERT

This will let you see where the issue is. Try running this when you are down, and you will see the packets hopefully leave your house, and hit a comcast switch, or router. If it hits a comcast switch then fails the issue is on their backbone. If you can't leave your houses ip then the issue could be inside your house.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftstealth View Post

What i would to do test your router is try going to CMD then run TRACERT

This will let you see where the issue is. Try running this when you are down, and you will see the packets hopefully leave your house, and hit a comcast switch, or router. If it hits a comcast switch then fails the issue is on their backbone. If you can't leave your houses ip then the issue could be inside your house.
Didnt know about that command- will definitely try it out.
I think I narrowed it down to my old routers being the issue.

Instead of typing it all again im going to paste my findings that I asked about on another forum so if it seems a bit out of context thats why....
thumb.gif

I have been suffering bad internet issues for years and done everything like replace all coax lines, cat5 cords, removed splitters, new mode, new router....etc.

The whole time I blamed comcast because I had dropped connections and my modem would lose connection alot.

I was running an old docsys 2 arris modem and old linksys wrt54g and figured they wasnt up to the task of the 30mbps speed I have with comcast.

Bought a docsys 3 zoom 5341J, and had an extra linksys N router (wrt110)

I am running 2 ethernet wired pc's that me and my son game on.
A ps3, and xbox that constantly run netflix wirelessly
And 4 phones on wifi.

I keep loosing connectivity dozens of times a day.
Found out the linksys N wrt110 has horrid reviews and is known for dropped connections and that linksys abandoned it in 2009 and stopped updating firmware.

So currently am using the very old wrt54g with tomato firmware but it still drops connections all the time the same as the newer wrt110. When I loose connectivity it is for hard wired and wireless connections and usually have to power cycle or reset them to bring them back to function.

If I run just the modem to my pc then internet works fine so narrowed it down to these routers being issue. Confirmed by running multiple looped ping tests to google overnight with no issues when just the modem is hooked up.... But when I put the routers back online its constant connectivity issues again.

So.... I just ordered a TP-LINK-TL-WR841N
Its cheap but has alot of good reviews
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-Wireless-Router-300Mpbs/dp/B001FWYGJS

Im hoping this will solve most of my issues but read if you run a router in just N instead of mixed mode it will be faster and more reliable. Problem is the ps3 and xbox use wireless G i believe.
Should I just run the new router in mixed mode or could/should I run one of my old routers off a wired port of the new router and use it to broadcast g only for the netflix running ps3 and xbox?

Im just so sick of internet loosing connection and need to set things up stable.

Was these old routers likely the problem ?

Any help is appreciated with setting up the new router.
Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
PS3 and Xbox 360 both use Wireless N (PS3, I believe, is 5GHz capable, but unless you have the wifi dongle adapter for the 360 it is not, this was confirmed to me by Xbox after days of troubleshooting).

New router should solve your issues, especially if you have no problems with the router out of the picture.

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts

Downstream Power:
You generally want between -12db and +12db. Most modems are rated from -15 to +15. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit.

I personally prefer to not have less than -7db.

Downstream SNR:
This number is best over 30, but you may not have any problems with down to 25. Anything less and you will probably have slow transfers, dropped connections, etc.

Upstream Power:
The lower this number is, the better. If it is above 55, you may want to see if you can reconfigure your splitters. Anything above 57 is not good and should be fixed ASAP. (This is getting pretty close to not being able to connect.)

Upstream SNR:
Anything above 29 is considered good. The higher this number is, the better. If this number is below 25 and 29, you have a minute amount of noise leaking in somewhere. If it's anything less than 25, you want to get it fixed as you may have a lot of packet loss or slow transfer rates.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Figured I would update my issue in-case anyone else has similar issues.

It has been 3 weeks since I experienced a dropped connection- solution was a new router ($20 tp link tl-wr841n)

My old router was not that old and was a $80 linksys N router I bought at walmart a couple years back (and always had good experiences with linksys routers) so didnt suspect it to be the cause as I wasnt just loosing wireless connections but lan wired connections as well.

Anyway- I first noticed linksys hasnt updated firmware for my old router for years, then realized they didnt even support it- couldnt find any manuals or downloads for it on there site. More research into it - I found the router had severe connectivity issues.

Every night for a week- as I slept- I pinged google with the router bypassed - just straight connection from my main pc to the modem- no lost packets or issues.

So- I ordered the TP Link and have not had an issue since.

If anyone reading this in the future still has an old Linksys wrt-110 or another older router with connectivity issues- try a new router, The $20 tplink saved the day.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Linksys was bought out by Cisco some time ago, and to be perfectly honest, turned to absolute rubbish after that. Prior to the Cisco purchase they were the best routers out there for home (and small business) applications. Linksys is one brand I won't purchase.

Though, I've never, ever had a router that didn't end up dying somewhere along the line. Whether it was 3 years or 3 days, they all seem to die the same fate.

Maybe it's time I watercool a router?

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

Linksys was bought out by Cisco some time ago, and to be perfectly honest, turned to absolute rubbish after that. Prior to the Cisco purchase they were the best routers out there for home (and small business) applications. Linksys is one brand I won't purchase.

Though, I've never, ever had a router that didn't end up dying somewhere along the line. Whether it was 3 years or 3 days, they all seem to die the same fate.

Pretty much the same expeience I've had with them. Linksys use to be the go to router before the buy out with Cisco and they have turned subpar next to belkin. Asus has replaced Linksys for me as my recommended brand since their routers have been reliable and never had any performance issues with any of them.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

or get one with proper cooling:

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
That's an apple AirPort Extreme/time capsule.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts