Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
waiting for Driver update
6,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
During GTC 2014, Nvidia has showcased tha latest version of Flameworks; a system for generating fire, smoke and explosion effects for games. Flameworks combines a state-of-the-art grid-based fluid simulator with an efficient volume rendering engine, and this latest tech demo is impressive (to say the least). This is by far the best 'fire and smoke' tech demo, surpassing even the one for Deep Down that Capcom introduced a while back. According to Nvidia, this is real-time volumetric fire simulation running on GeForce Titan Z and packs 32 million voxels. Enjoy!

source
http://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/new-nvidia-flameworks-tech-demo-shows-the-most-realistic-fire-smoke-effects/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow thats impressive i wonder how much power it takes to create those flames. I mean it runs on a titan z and its only the flames nothing else. i hope nvidia will realize the new performance upgrades they are talking about at the moment.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This demo and the demo by Deep Down are really exciting to see. A lot of work is being done to bring realistic lighting effects to realtime rendering and that makes me a very happy Panda!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Looks awesome, but when used in a game will it only be available on nv systems? Lame if so.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As impressive as it is, I still remember the old smoke in a box demo they released many years ago to download. I still haven't seen smoke in a game come close to that demo and that was back when I had my 8800 GTX. And if it did, it took many many years later.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Uhh, it looks okay. I certainly wouldn't call it impressive, though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Let's hope it's utilized in PC version of GTA V for them awesome car explosions, as well as in Far Cry 4.
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Looks good but lets face it voxel based effects are just to slow to be used in games. With current hardware that power is just so much better used for other things. But the good thing is that they have to code and so in time we will get it but I would expect that time to be any time soon.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Too bad anything in these tech demos never makes it in to actual gameplay. X_x
Pretty much, in tech demo's they like to show off crazy effects and what can be done with current hardware. Then when it comes to actual gameplay it can't be done for years to come or not at all.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatakai All View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Too bad anything in these tech demos never makes it in to actual gameplay. X_x
Pretty much, in tech demo's they like to show off crazy effects and what can be done with current hardware. Then when it comes to actual gameplay it can't be done for years to come or not at all.
These tech demos are the computer tech equivalent of design concepts at auto shows. They're there to look pretty and tease us with cool ideas but will never see the light of day.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serothis View Post

These tech demos are the computer tech equivalent of design concepts at auto shows. They're there to look pretty and tease us with cool ideas but will never see the light of day.
The ideas do show up, though, just not in the overly flashy demo-style form.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
This looks cool, however I doubt it will be implemented in anything and probably end up forgotten like so much tech Nvidia comes up with.

I think their efforts are great, however their tendencies of making everything proprietary seems to be crippling implementation of their tech in games. Their most successful gaming tech would probably be Physx, which barely has a presence in gaming.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts