Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a gigabyte ds3 and e6300, then i realized that i needed a 24 pin power supply so i just went and picked up the Antec true power trio 430 watt. Before i had an Antec smartpower 450 watt. And I cant even get my comp to post, no cpu beeps or anything. Is this probably a faulty motherboard?? Or could it be the cpu also?? Or maybe a short in the case or something??? If the motherboard fried it would stop it from getting to the other components (right??) such as the cpu, vid card, sound card, memory...

Any info is much appreciated...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardu
View Post

I bought a gigabyte ds3 and e6300, then i realized that i needed a 24 pin power supply so i just went and picked up the Antec true power trio 430 watt. Before i had an Antec smartpower 450 watt. And I cant even get my comp to post, no cpu beeps or anything. Is this probably a faulty motherboard?? Or could it be the cpu also?? Or maybe a short in the case or something??? If the motherboard fried it would stop it from getting to the other components (right??) such as the cpu, vid card, sound card, memory...

Any info is much appreciated...

I dont understand, why did you need to upgrade the PSU to a True Power to install the DS3?

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Well Firstly please fill in your system specs in the User cp at the top of this page.

Does the Motherboard Beep at all if you take the RAM out ? If not then it looks to be a dead Motherboard. However also try a CMOS reset first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the monitor says no signal, it doesnt beep when the ram is out, and I need a 24 pin connector which I didnt have on the antec smartpower (20 pin)...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, I am trying to run a gigabyte ds3, e6300 conroe, x1900gt, and 1 gig stick of corsair xms2 6400pro...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the odds the cpu is bad, also... Im not getting any beep codes or anything...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok if there is a unwanted power surge going to your motherboard if it fried would it hurt the cpu or any other components?? Shouldn't the motherboard have protection against that??

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok if there is a unwanted power surge going to your motherboard if it fried would it hurt the cpu or any other components?? Shouldn't the motherboard have protection against that??

The Motherboard would Beep if the CPU was Bad. As the motherboard didnt beep without the RAM this shows us that the Motherboard may be faulty.

If there was a large enough Power surge yes the CPU could be damaged. The Motherboard has protection for this...Its within the PSU.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

View Post

What are the odds the cpu is bad, also... Im not getting any beep codes or anything...

When the computer doesn't show any life, it is either the power supply or the motherboard alot of the times.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So what should I do rma the proc and mobo, or just the mobo...

Just the mobo, or to be sure and not having to rma another thing later on, RMA both of them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do, gettin shipped out tomorrow. But if it is the processor too, i only have 30 days to rma that. After that ill have to go through intel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
wait
what about trying you 20pin psu
its will not boot and if it does it will be unstable
but its worth a shot to see if it is ur psu
dont worry this will not dammage you parts im sure wait for some one els to say it wont first
nut im sure u will get beeps ect ect

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it to post when I first got the new system with the 20 pin but it would crash everytime it would try to load windows. I swapped my old machine in there and my psu is tip top...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
OK, that mite be why. If you swapped out your machine or changed your hardware. This means that you need to reset your CMOS, the easiest way is to take out the little battery for 1min and then put it back in. That mite be why you got no beeps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts