Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Console maker Microsoft claims bans are necessary to keep the gameplay fair, but should it ban gamers for the mistake of programmers?

You modified your Xbox 360 console? Chances are you've been banned. And to add to your dismay, your console's hard drive has been bricked, your console now corrupts saves, and you lost the privilege to use your media extender. Tough luck, buy a new console says Microsoft.

Read more.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Outrageous.

A programmers fails to correctly code something, or the developers fail to patch a glitch and they cause a player to be banned for life? Stupidity at it's finest.

Glitches aren't even dangerous, they're mainly funny. Stupid move Microsoft.

Edit: I didn't know which glitch it was, this is more serious than some other ones I've seen, but they still shouldn't be banned for life for using it, maybe disconnected from the game.

Edit 2: 24 hour bans are fine, I'm for it.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
MW2 and online isn't my thing, but what ever happened to all being fair in love and WAR? Technically, this allows you to be a suicide bomber. It is not like this tactic doesn't exist in reality.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Since most people don't actually read the article I am quoting this part as well

Quote:

Stephen Toulouse is the Director of Policy and Enforcement of Xbox Live has begun issuing 24 hour bans from Xbox Live to those who use the glitch. He writes on his Twitter, "While [Infinity Ward] works on getting the MW2 glitch fixed, people we catch using it will recieve suspensions from LIVE. Play fair everyone."

It is only 24 hour bans, sounds great to me.

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

so what is the glitch?

Javelin "super martydom" glitch and unlimited care package/emergency airdop glitch.

the "knife" glitch isn't a glitch though.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamakazi
View Post

Since most people don't actually read the article I am quoting this part as well

It is only 24 hour bans, sounds great to me.

A 24 hour ban seems perfectly fine, but if it was for life, I would be totally against it.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

so what is the glitch?

It's basically like a suicide bomber wannabe's dream. Cook a nade, switch back to your javelin, then when someone shoots you, the grenade not only blows up with it's impact, but also with the impact of the javelin itself...giving you a nice 15 foot kill radius.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Quote:

5. How You May Not Use the Service.

In using the Service, you may not:

* use the Service for commercial purposes (except as expressly permitted by us);
* engage in, facilitate, or further unlawful conduct;
* use the Service in a way that harms us or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors, or vendors , or any customer of ours or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors, or vendors;
* use any portion of the Service as a destination linked from any unsolicited bulk messages or unsolicited commercial messages ("spam"); or send, either directly or indirectly, any spam through the Service;
* use any automated process or service to access and/or use the Service (such as a BOT, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft, or "meta-searching");
* use any unauthorized means to modify or reroute, or attempt to modify or reroute, the Service;
* damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Service (or the networks connected to the Service) or interfere with anyone else's ability to access or use the Service;
* resell or redistribute the Service, or any part of the Service;
* disrupt, or try to gain unauthorized access to : any account, computer, hardware, or network related to the Service;
* obtain (or try to obtain) any data from the Service or related hardware, except data that we intend to provide or make available to you;
* use the Service or related hardware to design, develop, or update unauthorized software;
* use or distribute unauthorized cheats, macros, or scripts; or
* exploit a bug, or make an unauthorized modification, to any software or data to gain unfair advantage in a game , contest, or promotion.

key part in bold

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Quote:
to gain unfair advantage
If everyone can do it, how is that unfair?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
This reminds me of a "glitch" a friend of mine experienced in CSS. Something was wrong with his graphics setup, so he could see the shadows of enemies through walls and basically knew where the enemy would be long before the other way around.

Also, if everyone can do it, its really not an unfair advantage, is it? I mean, surely Microsoft would rather players not do it at all, but thats why you spend time patching games instead of banning players.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post
If everyone can do it, how is that unfair?
You're exploiting the game, doesn't matter if anyone can do it or not. When you sign up for Live you agree not to do it, like Argorn5757 quoted.

Just like people who standbyed in Halo 2 and were banned, they created an unfair advantage for themselves and were dealt with accordingly.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The article
Mr. Toulouse offers no sympathy. He likens glitching the game to car theft. He explains this perspective, stating, 'Wow, some of you think cheating a glitch is OK. Um. If I install my car stereo wrong and it disables my door locks, its not ok to STEAL MY CAR."
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I'm fine with these bans... but that analogy is quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This is not good...

Already, I'm not touching MW2 at all with anything. I'm hoping EA has something good in the works next year.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sozin View Post
You're exploiting the game, doesn't matter if anyone can do it or not. When you sign up for Live you agree not to do it, like Argorn5757 quoted.

Just like people who standbyed in Halo 2 and were banned, they created an unfair advantage for themselves and were dealt with accordingly.
Do people have a basic misunderstanding of the word "unfair"? Unfair is not the same as unfortuitous [which I'm not sure is even a word, but anyway...]. I'm not a lawyer, but I understand the basic premise that the wording in legal documents mean something. If you are going to ban things "unfair", they should actually be "unfair" and not just "unfortuitous". [...or whatever the word is] Obviously they should have kept the "unfair" out and just left it as "advantage", but they didn't.

...and because of this I'm all like :swearing: because it irks me way more than what can happen in a game. Companies cheaping out on their own legal agreements when it suits them... THAT is a good example of unfair advantage.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
THat is such an annoying glitch, 2 guys were doing it on terminal the other day and it was getting really boring. Glad they are doing something about it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts