Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailytech.com/Best+Buy+Hi...ticle14651.htm

Quote:

Best Buy has landed itself in the middle of a controversy over its Price Match policy according to Boy Genius Report. Walk into any Best Buy store around the country or pick up one of its weekly circulars and you will find prominently displayed "We'll meet or beat their lowest price. If you see a lower advertised price, we'll match it on the spot."

That is the Best Buy lowest price guarantee if the corporate speak is to be believed. A judge in New York State has certified a class action lawsuit against Best Buy for allegedly having an anti-price match policy in place with the goal of preventing a customer from taking advantage of the price match guarantee Best Buy so prominently displays.

The lead plaintiff in the class action is Thomas Jermyn and all NY State residents who feel they were refused Best Buy's price match are eligible to participate in the suit. Court documents show allegations that claim Best Buy has a corporate wide anti-price matching policy, corporate headquarters disseminated anti-price matching policy to regional managers, store managers, assistant managers, and other store personnel and that the franchise taught employees how to deny price match requests.

The plaintiff's legal team claims to have an internal Best Buy email that outlines ways employees might go about getting around the price match guarantee. The email read in part:

Price Matches

It looms on the wall, on a 9 foot sign. Our Price Match policy. There it is plain as day in English (Y en espanol para los de usted que puede leerio.) However, just because it is our policy, do we abide by it? Does it really help the customer?

What is the first thing we do when a customer comes in to our humble box brandishing a competitor's ad asking for a price match? We attempt to build a case against the price match. (Trust me, I've done it too). Let's walk through the "Refused Price Match Greatest Hits:"

Not same model? Not in stock at the competitor? Do we have free widget with purchase? Is it from a warehouse club (they have membership fees, you know)? Limited Quantities? That competitor is across town? We've got financing! Is it an internet price? It's below cost!

One key allegation in the suit is that Best Buy denied more than 100 proper price match requests per store per week. Another key allegation is that Best Buy paid bonuses in part on denying price match guarantees.

Not surprised in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've been refused a price match for an 8800GT awhile back... I had print outs of the pricing online and it clearly stated that it was in store pricing as well. I had copies of the Best Buy price match policy. I was denied from the manager on grounds that the price I'd get it for would be lower than what he would get it with his discount... Completely ignoring their policy. It was from a brick and mortar store in their area.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had problems with Best Buy since the mid-90's. That's why they lost my business. This sort of anti-price matching scheme really doesn't surprise me. I don't know why people still continue to shop there. It's like positive reinforcement. "Yes Best Buy, it IS okay not to honor your advertised promises. Really. Here, have money."

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22 View Post
Good I hope they get nailed with this. After all the issues with price matching or trying too. I got to the point that I wouldnt bother. I just dont shop there anymore.
I never shopped there to begin with. All they are is a bunch of salesmen, don't know anything about what they're selling and could care less how much you 'overpay'.

·
Overclocking
9,250 Posts
meh I'm still happy I get my staff discount

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhax View Post
All they are is a bunch of salesmen, don't know anything about what they're selling and could care less how much you 'overpay'.
Isn't that the truth. I love how they claim they can help "find the PC/laptop that fits you right". Ugh huh. "Oh, you like to have more than one window open at once? I guess you had better purchase a dual core laptop that will over heat along with an extended 3 year warranty we won't honor! Bwahahaha. Don't worry, I don't get commission."

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magix View Post
there's a reason I call it worst buy. They refused a price match from their own online store.
!!!

My biggest complaint about advertising practices! Try living in Alaska, where NO store has the same prices online as in the store, AND nobody will give you free shipping when everybody else gets it. Ever paid $50 for a $40 XBox 360 controller? Neither have I.

Strangely, the only store I've found that will consistently match their online prices is Bed Bath & Beyond.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhax View Post
I never shopped there to begin with. All they are is a bunch of salesmen, don't know anything about what they're selling and could care less how much you 'overpay'.
Yup, i avoid this place too for the exact same reason. A bunch of kids there who don't know what they're talking about but they're the ones giving advice.

They've also denied quite a few price matches throughout the years from me so this doesn't surprise me at all. One specific thing they do is that they have almost every manufacturer known to man, make a 'special' model for them. One digit on the 16 digit model # will change, the model will still be identical to every other in appearance and features, yet they will still deny the price match.

How i miss Circuit City and Good Guys when they used to be commission and you didn't have to do 2 months of research and be a tech wiz in every single consumer field before buying something. When i was in audio sales at CC, i MEMORIZED the differences and features and knew ways to show customers the diff there at the store. When i walk into BB, they read off the placecards, and if i ask a single question that isn't there, they straight up make up the answer.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USFORCES
View Post

I've gone into bestbuy and they have matched prices without even confirming it.

Where the hell do you live???

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I hate bestbuy I saw a monitor of theirs online for cheap and wanted to pick up one and they had it in stock. Sadly, they denied me but at least I found a cheaper & nicer one down the road.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kphile
View Post

I hate bestbuy I saw a monitor of theirs online for cheap and wanted to pick up one and they had it in stock. Sadly, they denied me but at least I found a cheaper & nicer one down the road.

Thats what bothers me so bad about them. They post a price and advertise it as "In Store" and yet their stores refuse the price. Its such a scam.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts