Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Enzo successor to get HY-KERS hybrid system 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo. These are all names that spring to mind when someone mentions Ferrari supercars. Both the 288 GTO and F40 used turbocharged V8 engines while the F50 and Enzo are both powered by naturally aspirated V12 engines. According to Ferrari S.p.A. Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, the company's next generation halo vehicle will have a hybrid powertrain. “[The] car will incorporate the state of the art of our knowledge in terms of increasing performances while reducing fuel consumption and emissions. It will then influence all Ferraris that appear after it,†said Montezemolo.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=19585 NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i read that as [DT]Fermi's Next Generation "Halo Car" to be a Hybrid

·
Banned
5,217 Posts
What exaclty are you noooo'ing about? Did you even read this related article? Have you seen Porche's new hybrid?

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/n...fficiency.html

Quote:
Best of all, though, is that the V-12's hyperkinetic character is left untouched. A heavy foot will still snap the throttle open, squeeze you against your seat, and unleash a beautiful shriek. Ferrari claims that the gas-electric 599 runs to 124 mph in 7.5 seconds, 0.4 seconds faster than the current 599.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
this will be amazing. Imagine having permanent torque. Whenever you want it. But with top end power like a low displacement high revving Ferrari V10/12.

This will be amazing as long as it doesn't end up being a Veyron straightliner.

(The Veyron is not a straightline car by ANY means, however, it's not nearly as nimble as a ferrari, Gumpert, etc...)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
You do realize Electric cars accelerate much faster than gas cars right?
I always thought that electric cars accelerated faster, but not to higher speeds.

·
Registered
891 Posts
as long as it sounds like a ferrari i'll be happy

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5 View Post
I always thought that electric cars accelerated faster, but not to higher speeds.
That depends on the gearing/brushless motors used.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
The internal combustion engine is for cavemen. There. I said it.

I am a car nut as much as the next guy, but compared to every other technology available, the automobile is grossly behind the times.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

The internal combustion engine is for cavemen. There. I said it.

I am a car nut as much as the next guy, but compared to every other technology available, the automobile is grossly behind the times.

Bingo.

When electric cars were first being developed, they had a problem with breaking axles because of the massive amount of torque that was being developed.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Eugh, hybrid...Go full electric.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,610 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gex80 View Post
You do realize Electric cars accelerate much faster than gas cars right?
You do realize electric cars corner like... like a car with lots and lots of heavy batteries added to it, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
Bingo.

When electric cars were first being developed, they had a problem with breaking axles because of the massive amount of torque that was being developed.
Really, because I thought their big problems were looking like a telephone booth and being marketed primary for single women...... oh, right, cause times have changed.......

Okay, maybe things have changed. Now the damn things are plastic.

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarhead
View Post

You do realize electric cars corner like... like a car with lots and lots of heavy batteries added to it, right?

You do realize that all things being equal the electric can have a much lower center of gravity than an ICE car right? Better weight distribution is just icing (punny) on the cake.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Electric Motors ahve 100% TQ ability at esentialy 0 RPM. so all 111 foot pounds are there off the line.

there is only a 3kWhour battery and ots all Lithium Ion... that would add very little weight (relative).

Check out what TopGear did with the All ectric Tesla sports car...

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarhead
View Post

Yes, but you can put those heavy batteries at the lowest possible point in the chassis to make the center of gravity very very low.....thus giving better traction and cornering ability.

In 20 years we will look back at gasoline engines and laugh. Thank you Ferrari for pushing this envelope in the performance sector.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jebus101
View Post

as long as it sounds like a ferrari i'll be happy

The best thing about owning a Ferrari is the car horn and I'm not even kidding.
People know just from the sound that you're not in a Toyota

·
Registered
678 Posts
Lotus has taken the hybrid route. They should be unveiling several at the Paris Auto Show - along with all their new gas only cars. If I'm not mistaken, they took Ferrari's old spot. Anyways, I'm pretty sure all of their hybrids cost 2x as much as the gas only counterparts. I don't see the point. IMO, hybrids are just "feel good" cars. Not much practicality.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts