Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini ITX case and trying to consolidate my storage drives to make room for water cooling.

I'm looking for some kind of adapter kit that will let me put two 3.5" drives (planning on grabbing a pair of 4TB Western Digitals) into a single 5.25" bay in my case. I can then remove the hard drive cage and have room for water cooling.

I need something in Canada. Shipping from the US takes forever and customs on inexpensive items is usually triple the cost of the item.

The only one I have found (and it's US only) is this one. Has anyone seen anything else I can use?

Thanks

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/RobilarOCN/media/dual_zpsf3c23fbe.jpg.html

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Ok here's the problem: you can't quite fit two standard 3.5" drives in a single Bay. They're too big. You need low profile drives.

Even that may not be enough. "low profile" is not a standard. You need the heights of the two drives to make sure there is room for them to sit on top of each other. Step one is find two drives that will even fit. After you've that info we can discuss brackets.

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Have to agree with above, two 4TB drives will probably be too thick. Two 2TB or 1TB drives might work.

They'll probably fit, but they'll take up one bay plus a bit of the one below. If you have the space I'd suggest a two 5.25" to three 3.5" converter.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
My 4TB WD is no thicker than my 2TB drives. There are no recesses on the bottom like my 2TB drives have, however.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,265 Posts
there is alot of room above the bay in the OP's case so it should work if its the Lian Li PC-TU200B

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

My 4TB WD is no thicker than my 2TB drives. There are no recesses on the bottom like my 2TB drives have, however.
My 3tb (from 4 years ag) is thicker than my 1tb(from 6 years ago), both are considerably thicker than my 320GB drives, and two of those just about fit.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I just dug through my junk box and checked a couple of old 750GB Seagates (roughly 6-7 years old; they were the infamous 7200.11s) and an early 1TB WD Green (roughly 5-6 years old) and they were all 1" thick, same as my current 2TB and 4 TB drives.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post

Any particular reason not to go to a 2.5" drive?
do they make 4TB 2.5" drives?

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need at least 8TB of space. I currently have 7TB between 3 drives and it is almost full.

I can make brackets easily enough just figured there might be something out there pre-made.

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those do look nice but again I need 4TB drives and I haven't seen anything in a 4TB in a 2.5" drive.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
That's a heck of a lot of data. Do you need quick access to it? I'm starting to wonder if you would be best served by tape. I know that's horrifically old school, but if its all archives and space is that critical, they make tapes the size of a pack of smokes that hold 14tb

This is NOT for data you need every week. Or month for that matter, but you are starting to go beyond what is normally considered personal computing here, and it may be time to start looking at enterprise solutions

·
Premium Member
20,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombastinator View Post

Apparently segate just started selling 8tb drives for $260, as that is an option as well
I saw that and it would be an excellent solution. Just have to find them in stock somewhere.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombastinator View Post

Apparently segate just started selling 8tb drives for $260, as that is an option as well
I saw that and it would be an excellent solution. Just have to find them in stock somewhere.
Just be aware that that drive is meant for "cold" storage due to low transfer speeds. It wouldn't be suitable if you frequently access data on it and it may not support streaming a movie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts