Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a Asus Rampage Extreme, with dual ATI 4870x2's in crossfire.

Could I install a Nvidia 8 or 9 series card (not hooked up to monitor) and use that as a dedicated Physx processor? (after installing the physx software)

Reason being is that if the 8/9 series cards now run Physx on the HW, I saw no point in buying the old AEGIA card which would be slower.

Thoughts? Suggesstions?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgordon
View Post

Hi,
I have a Asus Rampage Extreme, with dual ATI 4870x2's in crossfire.

Could I install a Nvidia 8 or 9 series card (not hooked up to monitor) and use that as a dedicated Physx processor? (after installing the physx software)

Reason being is that if the 8/9 series cards now run Physx on the HW, I saw no point in buying the old AEGIA card which would be slower.

Thoughts? Suggesstions?

No. You would run into driver conflicts as already said. Not possible in Vista.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

No. You would run into driver conflicts as already said. Not possible in Vista.

Where does it say he is using Vista?

To the OP, as many others have stated, in Vista you can only use 1 driver at a time. I am unsure regarding Xp or 2000 tho..

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes
View Post

To the OP, as many others have stated, in Vista you can only use 1 driver at a time. I am unsure regarding Xp or 2000 tho..

Because XP is limited to using 2 GPUs in SLi/Crossfire.

You can only use quadfire in Vista.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yes I am running Vista x64

Ok, well I guess what about just getting the AEGEI card? (like this one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1246&Tpk=physx

And then running that alongside by XFire 4780s? Would that work? Could I install the nvidia physx software and things would be ok?

You are better off getting a sound card. Unless you want to play the few games that currently do support PhysX, it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just using the sound card that came with my asus rampage extreme mobo so I am good on that.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgordon View Post
I'm just using the sound card that came with my asus rampage extreme mobo so I am good on that.
In general, a discrete sound card will make your PC experience better more so than a PhysX card.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have already looked into this myself. At the moment you cannot do this with vista due to it only allowing 1 display driver at a time. XP works though as does the Window 7 Beta. I am going to personally test the Windows 7 myself once im out of school for winter break and have some time.
I would hope they do develop some drivers that can allow this in vista without having it be a display driver. Only time will tell.

I was thinking of a 9800GT or something as my physx card.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
interesting. However if I were just to get a aegei physx card (standalone) things should work right?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

View Post

interesting. However if I were just to get a aegei physx card (standalone) things should work right?

Its a huge waste of money. I wouldn't spend a dime on a phsyx card.

As said before, get a dedicated sound card.... who cares about phsyx, theres like 10 games that use it and 5 of those games have absolutely no difference with it on or off. I notice absolutely no difference in brothers in arms hells highway with phsyx on or off with my nvidia card that supports phsyx.

On top of that nvidia offered phsyx to ATI.. so i'm pretty sure both ati and nvidia will have phsyx support soon.

EDIT: Comparing your onboard sound card to a dedicated sound card is a sin. Dedicated sound card = its processes all sounds, theres advanced features and it makes the sounds a whole lot better.... On your onboard - your processor has to take care of all the sounds and the sounds are rather dull compared to a dedicated sound card.

I would never build a computer without some type of dedicated sound card. If you can afford that rig then you need a sound card. Period. Having a rig like that and then no sound card is just dumb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes
View Post

400 posts and you still don't know how to read system profiles?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
but it isn't the same... You should look at an X-fi or some variant that has a dedicated processor onboard. I haven't looked back since I bought my x-fi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts