Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a second Sapphire 5850 in my system and noticed that GPU-Z was reporting the first card (sensors) at 725/1000 then it switches to 157/300. The second card (sensors) is showing 400/1000 but the value does not change. I think I have something going wrong here. I have not overclocked the cards. I first noticed this when looing at the ATI Overdrive section in CCC. Any ideas? Thank you.

FYI - running an [email protected] and ASUS Rampage Formula
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe 400/1000 is a normal "powerplay" mode. I've seen those setting in the bios, along with the idle 157/300 and 725/1000. But I don't know why one card is there and the other is not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received a reply from Sapphire support - "Radeon HD5K series cards uses a new technology called the dynamic clock speed, what it does is if the card is idling not doing much graphics intensive the card will lower the clock speed so it will uses less resource from the system, once the card in under heavy graphics load then card will adjust the clock speed to where it is suppose to be at. "

I understand the reply but if the clock speed is being slowed down wouldn't it be the same for both cards?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
One card maybe doing the 2d things you use.(higher watts)
Other shutted down as much as possible?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
It's something like speed step. My cards do that too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys.... I thought one of my cards were defective or something needed to be configured.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts