Overclock.net banner

Dual boot software Raid 0 win7 Ubuntu 9.10

3689 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  error10
After nuking my /var directory I have been working on reinstalling a dual boot system with w7 and Ubuntu 9.10. Sounds simple right?

It would be simple if I hadn't decided to complicate things. I had been running a setup like this:

SSD drive :
20gb partition with windows
12gb partition with /root

WD640gb black X2 Raid 0 using on board true hardware raid controller:
100gb partition ntfs
10gb partition linux swap
20gb partition /tmp
20gb partition /var
400gb partition long term storage
730gb partition /home

The plus side of this is since it was a true hardware raid I had no problems running raid on both windows and linux at the same time. The down side was that I kept getting annoying errors in linux (your drive is failing replace it quick) and the raid controller was limited to a 50mb/s write speed. So I had great read speeds but the writes where slower than a single drive.

My plan was to take the drives off the hardware raid and run them on the ICH10R fake raid. My setup was going to be this:

SSD drive:
20gb partition w7
12gb partition /root

WD640gb black X2 Raid 0 using ICH10R fake raid:
150gb partition ntfs
6gb partition linux swap
10gb partition /tmp
1114gb partition /home

I tried using this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

It would not work for me. Getting the fake raid to work with windows was of course no problem. Ubuntu however would not recognize the drives at all if they where setup in the ICH10R raid setup screen (ctrl-i during post). I tried using a live usb of 9.10 and a live cd of 9.04 to view and partition them. This did not work either. I could activate them with "sudo dmraid -ay" but could not partition or format them. So I gave up on the fake raid and decided to go pure software raid. From what I understand ICH10R fake raid is software raid anyway.

This is the setup I was going to try for:

SSD drive:
20gb partition w7
12gb partition /root

WD640gb black X2 Raid 0 using linux software raid and w7 software raid
150gb partition ntfs (w7 soft raid)
6gb partition linux swap (mdadm soft raid)
10gb partition /tmp (mdadm soft raid)
1114gb partition /home (mdadm soft raid)

I was foiled once again. I could either get the mdadm soft raid to work or I could get the w7 soft raid to work but not both. I tried setting up the w7 raid and then installing 9.10 with its raid. This would not work because once the w7 raid is setup no matter what size I set the raid partition to in w7 linux sees all of both disks as one partition. It appears that once w7 sets the disks to "dynamic disks" it will not work in linux. Next I tried setting up the mdadm soft raid leaving a 75gb ntfs partition at the start of each disk. Then I tried to setup the w7 soft raid. W7 could see the 75gb partitions and it could manipulate them to a certain point. It would go through the entire soft raid setup and then at the end tell my there was not enough disk space available to setup the dynamic disk soft raid setup (greedy *** w7 wanted all of drives). I finally gave up on this too.

So I ended up with this:
SSD drive:
20gb partition w7
12gb partition /root

WD640gb black X2 Raid 0 using linux software raid and two ntfs partitions
75gb partition ntfs x 2 (one on the start of each drive)
6gb partition linux swap (mdadm soft raid)
10gb partition /tmp (mdadm soft raid)
1114gb partition /home (mdadm soft raid)

Now I have a great raid setup on my Ubuntu but no raid on my w7.

So what do you all think should I just stick with this or should I keep trying to find a way to make it work. I only boot into w7 for gaming. I guess it is not that big of a deal. I just hate to admit defeat.
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
You have to use Ubuntu's "alternate" CD to do the installation.
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
You have to use Ubuntu's "alternate" CD to do the installation.
I did use the alternate cd to install and still had the before mentioned results.

Life would be simple if w7 didn't insist on controlling the entire drive when all I need for it is 150gb.
See less See more
You don't need that dynamic disk crap for this installation. I really wish Microsoft would stop pushing broken misfeatures on people. Oh well, that's probably asking too much. Supposedly this tool can convert your dynamic disk back to a basic disk.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.