Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a corrupt master boot record which I had to rebuild using BCDEDIT. The problem I'm having now is when I select my XP install my PC instantly reboots. Anyone see what could be wrong?

BCDEDIT:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=H:
path \\bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {c09e3883-5806-11de-b2f8-bf7994d162b8}
displayorder {current}
{ntldr}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \\Windows\\system32\\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
locale en-US
recoverysequence {c09e3885-5806-11de-b2f8-bf7994d162b8}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \\Windows
resumeobject {abca958e-7400-11de-82d0-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=D:
path \
tldr
description Windows XP - Gaming

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog
View Post

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=D:
path \
tldr
description Windows XP - Gaming

When you boot into Win7, is the partition that has XP (the actual XP Windows folder) called "D"? And is ntldr actually in the root of that partition?

Usually Windows will reserve "D" and "E" for optical drives.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows 7 saw my XP install on D:, when in XP the drive was F:, in Win 7 F: was a DVD drive. Trying to make eveything the same I assigned a new drive letter to the DVD drive and changed my XP install to F: so both copies of windows would recognize F: as my XP install. Keep in mind this is after I was not able to boot, I was simply trying to make things easier on my behalf.

I have tried using BCDEDIT, I've tried booting the Win7 DVD and running Bootrec /fixmbr and Bootrec /fixboot from within the repair section. Nothing seems to work correctly. I can either get XP to load with no options of loading Win7 or if I run the fixboot / fixmbr I can get the option to load either OS but only Win7 will load.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog
View Post

Trying to make eveything the same I assigned a new drive letter to the DVD drive and changed my XP install to F:

Eeeuuuwww! Bad move. That can screw up shortcuts and install (and repair) programs, to say nothing about what it does to the registry!

I know (I've used it successfully many times) Partition Magic has a utility to rename shortcuts, install paths and registry entries when Partition Magic is used for changing drive letters.

I now just let the various windows installs in multi boot systems identify the drives with any letter they want. Then I name the drives (label them) with a descriptive name (ie. XP1, XP2, VIstaX32, Win7X64, etc.).

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after messing with it for hours I gave up and reinstalled windows 7. It still didn't correct the issue.. Now if I have my windows 7 disc in the drive it will boot to Win7 but if I take the disc out of the drive it will boot to XP. This makes no sense....

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Well after messing with it for hours ...This makes no sense....
XP Recovery Console: fixmbr and fixboot.
Maybe even as far back as FDisk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts