Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to dual boot Debian and Windows 7. This is the output of sudo fdisk -l:

http://pastebin.com/B9xhfBTY

sdc1 is the Windows partition. sdb1 is Debian. sdb3 is NTFS storage. sda1 is NTFS storage.

I'm stuck in this loop where if I install GRUB2, the Windows BOOTMGR won't work. If I repair install Windows, GRUB2 won't work.

I've tried editing the menu.lst/Windows boot menu using EasyBCD but I can never get it right... I was wondering if someone could guide me through this or tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks OCN!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
are you making sure to install grub to your mbr? when you install grub dont specify a partition, just specify your boot drive

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, when I restore GRUB when Windows breaks it, I use:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/UUIDHERE/dev/sdb

which installs it to the MBR.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallrocks
View Post

Right, when I restore GRUB when Windows breaks it, I use:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/UUIDHERE/dev/sdb

which installs it to the MBR.

it's:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/UUIDXXX/ (SPACE!!!) /dev/sdb

OR #2

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

If your in a LiveCD doing this, you can optionally do this (after #2)

sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/whatever (whatever has /boot, or if it is mounted replace mount path properly)
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /mount path/boot/grub/grub.cfg

That should fix everything you need.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy
View Post

it's:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/UUIDXXX/ (SPACE!!!) /dev/sdb

OR #2

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

If your in a LiveCD doing this, you can optionally do this (after #2)

sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/whatever (whatever has /boot, or if it is mounted replace mount path properly)

That should fix everything you need.

lol, I know the space was there, just accidentally deleted it.

I don't understand what this does:

Code:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever
Mind explaining it?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallrocks
View Post

lol, I know the space was there, just accidentally deleted it.

I don't understand what this does:

Code:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/whatever
Mind explaining it?

just makes a new grub.cfg on a /boot partition of your choice

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EntTheGod
View Post

just makes a new grub.cfg on a /boot partition of your choice

This! I just did that in case your grub.cfg wasn't working right, but if you HAD a working grub all you need is this:

grub-install /dev/sdb

That's it, that's all the installer runs when you install it from the CD/DVD. everything else is automatic as I believe it's using a chroot environment or something similar? I've never quite figured out how they get the installers run, as it's just a system running to install another system with scrips. Blah, doesn't matter, what matters is that's all you NEED. If your having problems look up the grub crap on the Ubuntu wiki as it's really good.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
And which one of these drives do you have set as the boot drive in your BIOS?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

And which one of these drives do you have set as the boot drive in your BIOS?

sdb is set to boot.

Also, I'm not sure why I got instructions to install GRUB... I've got that worked out plenty.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Cause it sounded like you had an install problem? I don't see why, if you have them both installed correctly, that they can't work. Though I will say that if you use repair windows it will install on every MBR that it can, or at least it has issues when it comes to this. It has the bad habit of installing on the MBR of other discs. That's why when I install windows I always unplug my linux drives, just don't like fixin it.

If I were you, I would get each drive booting with all the other drives unplugged so you know you are getting the correct drive. THEN if you get errors I would report it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy;13146078
Cause it sounded like you had an install problem? I don't see why, if you have them both installed correctly, that they can't work. Though I will say that if you use repair windows it will install on every MBR that it can, or at least it has issues when it comes to this. It has the bad habit of installing on the MBR of other discs. That's why when I install windows I always unplug my linux drives, just don't like fixin it.

If I were you, I would get each drive booting with all the other drives unplugged so you know you are getting the correct drive. THEN if you get errors I would report it.
Wait, Windows installs on ALL the MBRs? That would explain so much...

So if I unplug my Linux drive and repair install Windows, then plug my Linux drive back in... Windows will work when I select it in GRUB?

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallrocks;13146304
Wait, Windows installs on ALL the MBRs? That would explain so much...

So if I unplug my Linux drive and repair install Windows, then plug my Linux drive back in... Windows will work when I select it in GRUB?
Yeah it has a habit of doing things like that, you might want to try it. =P

[edit] It's more like it has the habit of installing to the boot device, rather than the drive you are installing it to. =( I have had it do quirky things though, like decide that my spare drive needed an MBR. =S (and take out grub, ect...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts