Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So recently I have been having trouble trying to figure out how to do this. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit installed on a 100GB Maxtor Drive. It has been running fine for several months, but I can across some problems the other day when I went t install a music editing program on it. It was designed for WIN2K, but ran fine on my XP machine. My XP Machine (Dell Optiplex GX260) crapped out this morning due to a motherboard failure. This machine has been running strong for a little over 10 years! I got the rest of the data off it through an external IDE reader, Like I was saying, it had this music editing program on it that I still have a subscription for. I went to install it on my Windows 7 rig, and it would not let me open it, no matter what I tried. So, I took a spare SATA drive I had and installed XP on it. How I did this: I unplugged my master SATA drive (the 100GB Maxtor) and plugged the spare 40GB SATA drive into the SATA 0 slot my Windows 7 Disk occupied. I proceeded to install XP on there. I have to unplug the XP drive and plug the 7 drive back in or vice versa to switch between the 2. I really dont like that, so how would I go about setting this up? The Windows 7 Bootloader will boot XP, but the XP loader wont. So what should I do?

Thanks,
BadMilkMan

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
BCDedit (from Microsoft) or even easier EasyBCD (from the interwebs).

Have you tried changing the boot device in your BIOS to change OSs? It's easier than changing drive cables.

Read this

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried EasyBCD and I couldnt get it to stick.... probably not going to be doing much with XP anyway, I was just curios if there was an easier way. But swtiching SATA cables is fine. Wait, I just realized something.... I'm getting a new motherboard, which means I have to remove windows 7 off the Maxtor Drive..... If I format the maxtor, plug in the seagate and then install windows 7 on the maxtor I should be fine right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts