Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets folks,

I need to replace my triple channel kit due to failure and I think I want to go with a dual channel kit for the future since it seems triple channel died with X58. Are there any noticeable performance issues associated with running a dual channel kit on a triple channel motherboard? The dual channel 8 GB kits are so cheap now that I would like to go with one of those if possible.

Thanks if anyone can help!

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can use 2 sticks of RAM on a triple channel board, it just scales back to dual channel.

If they require voltage above 1.65v, don't use them in an X58 based system.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn0yb0i View Post

You can use 2 sticks of RAM on a triple channel board, it just scales back to dual channel.

If they require voltage above 1.65v, don't use them in an X58 based system.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.
Thanks that makes it pretty simple! Do you know the performance difference between dual and triple channel setups in that case? If it's negligible then I will grab an 8 GB dual channel kit and be done with it.

+rep, thanks again
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would recommend a triple channel kit, but it's not necessary. They are pretty similar.

• Rep+
Reactions: BlahBlahBlah

·
semi-legit
7,981 Posts
Triple channel is only better in certain applications, but for general use, gaming etc there's essentially no difference.

• Rep+
Reactions: BlahBlahBlah

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post

Greets folks,

I need to replace my triple channel kit due to failure and I think I want to go with a dual channel kit for the future since it seems triple channel died with X58. Are there any noticeable performance issues associated with running a dual channel kit on a triple channel motherboard? The dual channel 8 GB kits are so cheap now that I would like to go with one of those if possible.

Thanks if anyone can help!
For X58, you can grab 2 sets of Dual-Channel kits and fill it up 4 DIMM slots and they are still in Tri-Channel congifuration.

DDR3 TRI DUAL CHANNEL.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.